Files browser stops working

Hello everyone. I am using Zorin OS 16 with latest updates. It is very satisfying overall. However I am experiencing a strange issue. Just after boot, I can browse file and folders normally, but minutes after doing something else (terminal, firefox, whatever), I find myself unable to double click folders on the desktop or make a Files window appear. I try to double click on the Files icon in the taskbar but it results in the waiting cursor forever. Everything else keeps working when this happens, but if I want to be able to broswe files and folder sin the GUI, reboot is my only options. Do yo have an idea of what could be wrong? Thank you for your tips

This sounds like Nautilus is failing for some reason. You might try reinstalling it and seeing if that corrects and corrupted files in Nautilus.

sudo apt install --reinstall nautilus zorin-os-desktop

1 Like

Excellent suggestion from Aravisian as always. But if that doesn't work due to possible missing dependencies, please run this slight variation of the command...

sudo apt install -f --reinstall nautilus zorin-os-desktop

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I tried the first command followed by a reboot. Problem still present. I tried the second command followed by a reboot, problem is still present. Minutes after a regular boot, I cannot double click icons on the desktop nor opening the Logs app. I can make it work again for a while by typing "nautilus" then enter in the shell but it ends up crashing no matter what. I double checked my nvidia driver was correct and up to date. My logs important message are like this:

13:36:10 gnome-session-b: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_foreach_remove_or_steal: assertion 'version == hash_table->version' failed
13:36:05 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
13:36:03 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
13:35:39 bluetoothd: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
13:34:58 systemd-udevd: /etc/udev/rules.d/S99-2000S1.rules:26: GOTO="libsane_rules_end" has no matching label, ignoring

2 Likes

The above errors suggest a Bad Sector on your hard drive or a Corrupted installation.
I would highly recommend reinstalling (with reformat) on the drive.

Test your hard drive using SMART tools. Check if it is failing.

1 Like

Correct, another member on here has a hard drive with 8 bad sectors on it, and their having nothing but problems too. We often forget that hard drives can fail, and usually operating system's don't tell us this automatically, we have to check the SMART data to find out for sure.

The old dual core machine that I am running Zorin OS on right now, well, it used to have an old 320GB 5400-RPM mechanical drive in it with Win7 on it. Well, after several years of use, that hard drive was failing. It was very slow to run, and the computer was malfunctioning all the time.

When I did a SMART check on the drive, I think it said it had something like 300 bad sectors on it, ya, kid you not, the drive was dying a terrible death, poor thing. Switched it out for the Samsung 512GB SSD drive, and between that and Zorin OS, saved the computers life.

For being an old machine that nobody would want and all, Zorin OS and that drive replacement, saved the machine from going to E-waste. So that is something that I am thankful for.

1 Like

I had 2,900 bad sectors on my old hard drive.:expressionless:

It was 1tb, so it had a total of 1953125000 sectors.

2 Likes

Dang dude, thats a lot of bad sectors on your 1TB drive, you must have been heart broken, especially since you knew that drive wasn't cheap to buy when you got it. You must of panicked and started backing up what you could, and prepare for the drive replacement.

1 Like

Something like that.
The drive did fail and has been replaced.

1 Like

I am just curious, did you replace with the same size 1TB, or did you upgrade? Each time I buy an SSD I always try to upgrade in storage capacity. But a big reason for that is because I am a gamer, and boy oh boy do we gamers need a lot of space lol.

1 Like

Umm...
It's 2 terabytes now.

Probably far far more than I need.

2 Likes

fsck OK, SMART OK and no bad threshold. However, on another new admin session, the problem does not occur. I guess I need to use this new session. Thanks for your suggestions

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Marked solution. 101