Firefox Alternative. HELP!

I quickly checked Wiki.
Before the switch they were using something called EdgeHTML engine.
I also used Safari when I was running Hackintosh. Safari is using Webkit but I cannot think of any browser in Linux which uses this engine.

I love me some terminal... But I gotta admit, I couldn't do that eLnks, either. LOL.

1 Like

I use Pale Moon on my 32bit Shop 'puter.

I clicked the Twibright page. The Products and About links give a Not Found 404 error.
I kinda don't want to test this by installing it... Their home page is scarin' me...

1 Like

Yeah, it was slow, buggy, and it was riddled with security flaws. I wish MS had dedicated resources to fix it instead of just going with Chromium.

There are a number of them (Otter is the most famous one I think). As a matter of fact, I think Webkit was developed first and foremost for Linux, as the original devs were the good old KDE fellas :smiley:
I came across this Wiki article which lists a loooot of web browsers for 'Unix and unix-like' systems. Additionally, it has written what rendering engine they use.

2 Likes

Ah, great!
I should bookmark this page.

I just installed and tested NetSurf. It's minimalistic, but I kinda liked it. It looks like it uses only gtk2.
Running a web search went fine. Again, pretty minimalist in the appearance of the results. But clicking any link to open it crashed the browser immediately. Which kinda renders it totally useless.
Looks like a problem with curl library. Not worth trying to fix.

Checking this, next:

1 Like

Dooble has very pretty screenshots. I'll try it as well :+1:

Midori browser?
I used to use it when I was running our printserver with desktop. (Now it is headless, so I do not need any browser on it).

I just finished trying it. I cannot get it to do anything. It won't search, won't accept any address I type in... It will not save any settings, either. I configured the settings. But nothing changed. So I thought I needed to refresh it. Closed it out, opened it- all settings were back to default.

It allows the use of Custom Style Sheets, which I really like. Too bad that doesn't work, either.

It won't save them. Closing or exiting the browser results to nothing saved in there.
Dooble is officially evicted from my machine. :frowning:

1 Like

If you are desperate, this page might help. Listing 68 browsers - curiously Midori is not one of them:

2 Likes

AlternativeTo is a very good website. I visit it quite a lot. I even found Zorin thanks to that :smiley:

4 Likes

I almost forgot about the Onion Browser.

I'm perusing FrenchPresses Alternative.to link now searching for candidates.

1 Like

I forgot to add the filter, but you can restrict the result for open source apps only.
My experience with Tor browsers was not very positive. In our settings they are quite slow - I suspect something to do with added layer of proxy connection.

Oh yeah TOR is a Godsend. But, it is not really viable as a daily browser.

That's the best thing. They advocate for free and open-source software.

2 Likes

Testing this one, now:
https://minbrowser.org/

Not sure on this one:

FireDragon looks interesting, But I cannot find much information on it - other than it is a fork of LibreWolf on Garuda Linux.
I had Dissenter on this list, til I learned it was built on Brave.

I have tried Min before. It's not ideal what so ever. Firstly, it uses chromium. Even worse it is an Electron application. So it is like a browser inside a browser. Browserception :smiley:
While I really liked the minimal UI design, it lacks a lot of features that make up a whole browser. It just lacked too many things.

2 Likes

Open source family tree?
This one is not for browser but for Linux:

2 Likes

Seriously Zorin is not 40th element [Zr] Zirconium? I'm disappointed :disappointed:

2 Likes

I installed Dooble and it wasn't that bad. I did not encounter the issues you mentioned. I need to test it further. The DOT browser doesn't seem bad as well. Seems to be worth looking into.

1 Like

I think this atomic number does not reflect the current popularity. I check Distrowatch quite often, and Zorin is always something around no 13.

3 Likes