Firewall in zorin

You can do a

sudo apt install gufw

I did not even notice. Surprised me too.

Makes me want to ask..... Is it because it's "Built Into the system"...?
Seems like it would be a glaring omission to me.

1 Like

Oh and @Aravisian , Thanks. Firewall added. :grin:

I do agree on this - Maybe we are missing something.

The Firewall is pre-installed in Zorin OS 16 and can be found under Settings > Network > Firewall Configuration

4 Likes

Is it UFW? I'm not trying to be difficult here but uhh... Terminal says neither gufw nor ufw is installed.
I just logged into Gnome, went to settings, network - there is a Firewall configuration button. Nothing happens when I click it.

If I open terminal and move to install (As I posted above):

sudo apt install gufw

sudo apt install gufw
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
ufw
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gufw ufw
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,034 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,503 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

1 Like

Oops... forgot something. Lol. It's bound to happen occasionally. :laughing:

2 Likes

You mind-reader... I almost made this wisecrack earlier... But decided against it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, both GUFW and UFW come pre-installed in Zorin OS. If they aren't installed on your system perhaps you may have accidentally uninstalled them or there may have been an upgrade issue if you are still using the original Beta install of Zorin OS 16

3 Likes

I apologize. I needed to be sure.:wink:
Yes, I am still using Zorin OS 16 Beta.

2 Likes

OK, found it. Thanks Kyrill.
I did a search, thought it would of come up when I typed Firewall.
I also had already installed using the info from Aravi...

All Good, nothing to see here...!!!

1 Like

I am glad the devs have pointed out where GUFW (Firewall) setting is now located. I would have taken some time to find it otherwise. Note, as in previous ZorinOS installs, GUFW is set OFF by default. Definitely one of the early settings to change.

2 Likes

One of the reasons why we often must point out that Zorin OS is not "re-skinned Ubuntu."
While most searches under Ubuntu should still get to a solution; there are still a lot of Zorin Specific goings-on that must be addressed here on this forum.

2 Likes

How do I add a wine app to the firewall list?

Update. To easily find the Firewall Configuration. Just learned if you click the 'Activities Button' (the 2 squares right next to Z, start menu, bottom left and type firewall in the search box) you will get this..

3 Likes

Marked solution. 30

anyone know how to block wine apps from accessing the internet? im still on zorin os lite

Off the top of my head: You could use Iptables or a firewall rule... Would need to look up a detailed guide, really, to make further suggestions. But first, I would suggest caution.
It may seem look a good move at the outset, but haunt you later.

1 Like

To activate your firewall via the terminal
Use this code

type or paste code here
sudo ufw enable

If you launch GUFW, click on Rules tab, then click on Add you will get some preconfigured Firewall Rules. The only ones specific for WINE are:

WINE: Starcraft
WINE: Warcraft III
WINE: Warcraft III all ports