Firewire soundcard

hi all,
i am having issues with Ardour and my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Firewire Audio Interface. I am running Zorin16 Pro. As Ardour is to play back even a 9 track recording, i hear stuttering playback. I recorded in 24 bit 32k, the pc is a massive xeon daw with 32GB RAM, 1tb SSD M.2 and performance monitoring doesnt deliver any hints.
Any of you ideas?
Thanks Markus

1 Like

Someone shared this link earlier that is quite helpful. Although written for Ubuntu 21.04, the principles of it should work the same in Zorin OS 16.

1 Like

32k sounds weird. Do you mean the sample rate (32,000 Hz)? Try a standard sample rate like 44,100 Hz or 48,000 Hz... Maybe that helps.

You could also install REAPER and use ALSA only as your audio driver. If it plays back fine there it might have to do with Ardour's settings.

www.reaper.fm

1 Like

I am not so sure if it is something to do with the sound resolution settings in Zorin, but you could increase it with this tutorial I wrote:

Oh and I forgot to ask: what buffer size are you using in Ardour? Stuttering playback can be solved by increasing the buffer size, too. A good starting point would be 128 samples if you are not using any FX and still want a low latency. On heavy projects you can go up to 2048 samples.
In REAPER you also have the option to use "periods". Think of them as "cycles".
For example, I can run my RME Babyface on 64 samples with 3 periods for low-FX-count projects. Try tinkering with these 2 values a bit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.