Fix for no sound on Audioengine HD3

I just jumped from Windows 10 to Zorin OS 17 with both feets. Learning as I go using Google.

One of the first problems I had which I now have found a solution for, is that my Audioengine HD3 speakers did not output any sound. At the same time it did otuput sound in Firefox, but not in any other applications (like Vivaldi, Nuclear music etc), also it did not output any sound when testing the speakers in "Sound" settings in Zorin.

I then installed Pulse Audio, but was not able to fix it with the settings there. I also looked at alsamixer in Terminal, without finding a solution. Eventually I found the solution posted in another forum (the last two post by user "Andy McKay" and "marchte"): (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/audioengine-hd3-usb-dac-shows-in-volume-control-but-no-audio-coming-out-4175669272/) and here is the steps I did (I have now sound in ALL my applications, hurray):

First I installed nautilus admin addon because I like to edit config files in GUI:

sudo apt install nautilus-admin
nautilus -q

Then I navgated to /etc/pulse/ and did right click on daemon.conf and clicked "Edit as administrator".

Then changed this line:

; default-sample-rate = 44100

To be like this;

default-sample-rate = 48000

Then I restarted the computer, and sound was finally working! I now have sound in both Vivaldi and Nuclear music.

I guess the file I edited will be overwritten by updates in the future, but I will just have to add the customization back again then.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future. Thanks for making Zorin! I love it.

2 Likes