Found a 5Ghz WiFi dongle cheap

$23. Suppose to work with any Debian disto by running a command on their website. Good reviews. Long antenna that swivels in all directions. No, I don't sell it.

Got myself one for Xmas. Recently discovered I'm getting 250mbps from Spectrum. Currently on an old 100mbs wired network. Found I was getting 200mbs when I was playing around with Deepin 23 Alpha and put in my old Realtek dongle and it worked. Hopefully, Zorin will get updated 5Ghz drivers in Zorin 17. There's a $7 dongle on Amazon that's 2.4Ghz if you need something to tide you over. I get 50mbps 30' from the router with that.

1 Like

5 GHz is ok if you are close to the router. 2.4 GHz offers a more stable connection and can get through solid walls and other obstacles easier than 5 GHz.

1 Like

I've been using a WiFi dongle for quite a while now but I needed Bluetooth on mine as my laptop card had both ..... this one works just fine and as my router is about 6-ft from my laptop my 5 GHz works fantastic ....

1 Like

Long range, long antenna.

1 Like

2.4 Ghz has a frrequency that is a little less than half of the frequency of 5 Ghz. The higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength of the signal. The shorter the wavelength of the signal the easier it is for the signal to be absorbed by solid objects. That is why microwave ovens use a frequency that is very high. The high frequency of the microwave is turned into heat when the very short waves are absorbed by the food in the microwave.

And to answer your question about the speed, the higher the frequency the more data it can send in the same length of time. So in that sense 5 Ghz is faster.

And to clarify something else that has come up on this forum before. 5G cell phone and internet service is NOT the same as your 5 Ghz wifi. 5G cell service means 5th generation NOT 5 Ghz.

3 Likes

Just got it, works perfectly. Just paste in:
sh -c 'wget linux.brostrend.com/install -O /tmp/install && sh /tmp/install'

Also comes with a CD.

BTW, it's very big. If you want something cheaper and much smaller and are OK with 2.4Ghz try:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.