Fractional Scaling and Fullscreen Video

I'm live booting Zorin 16 Core and I'm seeing an issue with fractional scaling. When you try to play a local video file (not streaming in browser) in fullscreen mode the audio keeps playing but the screen turns black for about 3-5 seconds. Then the video plays for a few seconds before the screen turns black again, repeating over and over until you exit fullscreen mode or kill the program. The problem does not occur when using the non-fractional scaling.

I've been able to replicate the issue on two different systems, one with a 4K monitor and anther with an HD monitor. My video player of choice is VLC but I tried 6 or 7 other video players found in the repository and they all have the same issue. However, SMPlayer managed to work normally for about 1-2 minutes before the problem manifested itself.

I'm currently using Solus (Budgie) but I'm tired of having to choose between 100% and 200% scaling, leaving everything looking either too small or too large on my 4K monitor. And yes, I have messed around with changing the font size, I don't like the look.

I'd like to switch to Zorin for the fractional scaling option but if I can't watch a video properly then it's a deal-breaker for me.

You are seeing directly the reason why Solus avoids using Fractional scaling.
Linux Fractional scaling is incomplete. In the end, it does not matter which distro you choose, fractional scaling has all the same issues on each - much like Wayland.
It was introduced before it was ready.

2 Likes

Hi All
I tried installing Zorin OS on a Lenovo Legion Ryzen 7 5800H with RTX 3080 mobile. Screen is 16in 2560x1600
After few hiccups I managed to get it done. Hower when I tried scaling the UI to 125% it did absolutely nothing.
Help is greatly appreciated as I was planning to use it as main OS

beep beep... Я робот

posting merged to similar thread to concentrate volunteers' work

I'm not very experienced with scripting, but thinking of possible workarounds, would it be possible to create a script that runs when VLC launches that changes the scaling to 100% and then changes it back to 150% when VLC is closed? If so, how would one go about implementing it?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.