Frame.work Laptop Support

The Frame.work laptop is an attempt to create hardware that supports the users right to repair. It uses a wifi module and fingerprint hardware that requires a 5.11+ Linux kernel.

I am not versed on what it needs, however I know that I had to download a specific respin version of Fedora that used a 5.13 kernel and the non-LTS PopOS! that uses a later kernel.

I recently purchased ZorinOS Pro for use on some Thinkpad's that I use, but man oh man - I'd love to use Zorin on my Frame.work.

Would the Zorin developers be interested in helping to create a release that runs correctly on Frame.work hardware? Its pretty good software, but has some bugs currently because of certain hardware that it uses.

Are you familiar with the Frame.work? Would you support it? Is there any help or info about using ZorinOS CURRENTLY with a Frame.work?

The distro feels great; I've supported it, regardless of Frame.work support and would LOVE it if you'd have interest in creating that support.

Thanks;

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

2 Likes

Hello Paul, welcome to the Zorin OS 16 forum!

First of all, can I just say how amazing I think you are for wanting to use a Frame.work laptop, and supporting right to repair, you are stellar! :star2:

You can probably tell by now that I know about Frame-work laptops, just wish they were full established by the time I bought my computer, but they weren't around in April, so I ended up buying an MSI machine.

To answer your question, Zorin OS 16, is currently using the 5.11.38 Linux kernel, which appears to meet Frameworks system requirements. Please note that there are kernel updates that do come often, every month, so Zorin OS is kept updated.

Yes, I also use POP OS 21.04 on my main gaming machine, it uses 5.13 Linux kernel, that is correct. But if Framework notebooks require 5.11, and Zorin OS 16 currently uses 5.11.38, logic dictates, that Zorin OS will run good on those new machines.

I sincerely hope that you will be the first Frame-work notebook owner on our site. I would love to get my hands on one, but I just spend 3 grand this year on my MSI machine so I'm officially spent lol. But I am super excited about the Frame-work notebooks.

So, please by all means, be our official Frame-work notebook owner on here if you'd like. But please do not make me squirm by not providing pictures. I want lots of pictures, all details. lol Incase your wondering, yes I did provide such pictures of my machine.

Again, I think your are positively stellar :star2:

StarTreker

yoda
Your Very Impressed
Tech Support Guru

1 Like

Yea; the more I've been using ZorinOS Pro, the more I've been liking it...

I found GNOME by using Fedora, and recently have been trying PopOS! on the Frame.work...

While ZorinOS Pro (which is Zorin 16, I believe...) uses 5.11, I think there are a few other considerations that the Frame.work needs from an OS.

I'm a big ignorant, and I think you're correct about 5.11+ being the main one... but others include;
the wifi chip it uses - Intel WLS 6E AX210 (w/ VPRO & w/o VPRO)
the fingerprint reader - Needs to contain the correct libfprint-2-2 package that is compatible
and a few others.

Here is the link that Frame.work owners are directed to:

And furthermore, I've seen great info on the Arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Framework_Laptop

And theres some great posts about using different distros on the frame.work community forums:

community.frame.work/t/debian-based-linux-on-the-framework-laptop/3347
community.frame.work/t/arch-linux-on-the-framework-laptop/3843
community.frame.work/t/fedora-34-on-the-framework-laptop/2723

At any rate, I hope that ZorinOS might respond here - and agree to build in support for Frame.work owners. I know that Fedora has publicly stated they are working on support. (And offer a respin build of Fedora 34 w/ changes in the ISO...) And that the Arch community offers information on how to build a setup that is compatible...

I think a perfect way for ZorinOS to do this is only (Or, better support...) build in support for the paid ZorinOS Pro, which I've already purchased. :stuck_out_tongue:

The more I learn about Zorin, the more I like... and I can state that its already going on my Frame.work laptop... today. Please consider offering full support for all the documented issues - maybe I can help there, too. Maybe the Frame.work developers will list all considerations in a more technical way and I can post that info here. :stuck_out_tongue: Just a user bridging the gap.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

2 Likes

2 Likes

Alright. So very first ZorinOS Pro install;

WiFi doesn't work out of the box;
install wifi drivers -
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi-ty-59.601f3a66.0.tgz
and then
sudo cp -b iwlwifi-ty-59.601f3a66.0/iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-59.ucode /lib/firmware/
and, extra step for 20.04;
sudo mv /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0.pnvm /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0.bak

Reboot

Wifi is working... more to come, and I'm just a newbie. Hoping for ZorinOS to support the Frame.work - and, lol, save me from returning it!

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

4 Likes

Yes I have the same feelings about Zorin why I liked him more every day, if you more staying with him for a couple hours and when I working on him. Maybe also more trustly because Zorin is long time on market.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I am so excited I can't contain myself. I am so happy for you! This is literally one of my most favorite notebooks from one of my most favorite companies in the world. I think they are doing amazing things that truly is mind-blowing.

When people hear that this notebook is modular in design, the last thing that they would expect, is that also includes interchangeable ports too lol. But that notebook does it all, its a true marvel of manufacturing in a new RIGHT TO REPAIR world.

I am so happy that the Zorin OS 16 install went correctly, and that you were able to install your WIFI drivers too and get that working. You are positively stellar, that is glowing out of your new Frame-Work computer! :star2:

No seriously, its glowing, the power button, thats so COOL! :sunglasses: Thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us, this is what Linux is all about, when you combined Linux, with a RIGHT TO REPAIR notebook that is fully modular, you have literal perfection at your fingertips.

Your new machine is the embodiment of all that we stand for in the Linux community. :blush:

LOL - well; its getting there. Support nor hardware is perfect... but I'm still holding on. Having some issues under Zorin with X/Wayland - I've made another post and hoping for some help.

I'll state that I really like Zorin so far... and am willing to continue the tweaks...

I think that I'll have to fix up suspend/hibernate mode, too.... more posts to follow.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

1 Like

Paulie, my Frame.Work DIY showed up Friday 11/12/2021. I watched a youtube review of I believe 6 Linux distros installed on the FW. The one that got the worst rating was Zorin, as it had three hardware incompatibles (I remember the finger print reader was one). I've been running Zorin 15 on my desktop box with only one hiccup and that was an HP printer configuration issue. Fortunately, I was able to sort it out. I purchased pro (16) in March/April and still don't have it installed (we moved shortly after I bought it, and have been neck-deep in house and land restoration since we got here).

After watching the install comparison, I downloaded and installed Fedora. While it does as promised, and works out of the box, the GUI is so foreign to me that I'm going to strip it and install Zorin Pro and hope they get the compatibility issues worked out
SOON.

I got the 1185G7 with the 6E AX210 w/vPro. I also got 2 USB-C, 1 HDMI, 1 USB-A, 1 MicroSD, and the 1Tb module. I brought my own Samsung 1Tb 970 Plus, and two sticks of 32Gb Patriot memory. It all works flawlessly.

Now we'll get to see what all does not work after I flush Fedora and install Pro?

So many thanks to you for this post!
I'm brand new (mostly) to Linux and felt that was the way to go with my new Framework laptop.

It is directly because of you and not the other two previous things tried that allows me to send you my thanks from the Framework Laptop Running Zorin OS 16.

Thanks again!
DaYv

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Make sure to update your profile following the posting below. It will help when you need any help from volunteers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.