freezing the system

I recommend Nvidia 460 Proprietary, Nvidia 470 Proprietary, or Nvidia 495 Proprietary.

Do not use any Nvidia driver that has "Tested" in its name. Also, you don't usually need to use the "Server" based drivers.

For the record, I am using the 495.44

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I'm using the 495 to see how the system behaves.

If it missbehaves, we will get FrenchPress to wave her magic wand and tell it to start behaving properly lol. Hopefully you will have a resolution now. Good luck!

1 Like

Alternative:
If it missbehaves, we will get Aravisian to wave his magic club hammer.

2 Likes

@StarTreker -
I'm driving 495 from Nvidia. But another crash occurred and, as can be seen from the attached screenshots, when I try to open a program nothing happens and some icons are corrupted, just like when I try to open a program that was running in the background, it seems to get corrupted .

I am not exactly sure why your icons are getting corrupted. But I notice you have Microsoft Teams installed as well as Bittorent. I suggest that you do a virus scan with ClamTK.

1 Like

I'm sure there's no virus on the computer, as I only install programs through the official program locations and don't use the torrent.

The icons are not corrupted - that is the Image Missing icon. It is not seeing the Icon Set that you are using.
Which is odd... I do not think a Virus was at work.
I note Remmina - were you remotely connected?

the icons look like this after a crash.
I'm on my local computer.

The only icons remain are SNAP or FlatPak?
Apt installed icons all reverted to fall back.

Would this give a hint to solve this mystery?

Did you check Appearance and change icons to other option to see if it make any difference?

You can also install Gnome-Tweak to change the icon set.
This is how mine looks like. Everything is set to default.

1 Like

Is Zorin the only OS on the machine and is it installed or a VM? As for MS Teams for Linux I had nothing but trouble with it and that caused more freezes than I care to mention whilst working from home. I insisted if work needed me to meet up then it should be through Jitsi. To put this into perspective I helped a forum member based in Florida using Jitsi to install Windows 10 on replacement drive on another machine and had no loss of connection for over 4 hours. Similarly, work colleague would forget to sign off at end of day and connection maintained for over 3 days! https://meet.jit.si is free for individuals and no software to install as just needs a browser with Chrome Extensions.

1 Like

Thats right, Microsoft Teams is no good. Which is why when I saw it was on his system, I was like, thats one of the two apps that I see, that could be messing with his system.

2 Likes

While ever M$ is allowed to contribute to the Linux kernel I would have grave doubts about the future of GNU/Linux period! Beginning to wonder why I didn't pick up the latest LXF magazine that has Midnight BSD on it!

now i realized that only the software installed by snapcraft dot io does not get corrupted.

System themes remain the default.

i have dual boot, along with windows 11

I use Teams for some work stuff. The company that orders it to be used.
But I will uninstall and use it through the browser

Microsoft won't allow it (on Linux) through the browser, you have to install Teams for Linux. I would stick to Windows while using teams. You could drop a hint that it might be cheaper in the long run to host a Jitsi Server with Digital Ocean which is what our Linux User Group does. Teams costs companies $5 per seat per month.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Free BSD anyone?

This might help:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall adwaita-icon-theme

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.