Frustrating Boot time

I'm not sure. I know little of GRUB as I never had any trouble with it.

From the screenshot you provided you came under 1 minut :slight_smile:
Another option is to suspend your computer instead of shutting it down.

but it takes 3+ mins

The problem most be somewhere else then. And it may have to do with what you say about grub menu and tty.

What grub options do you have set? Did you make any changes to the grub file?

The sda2 device has me thinking it may be a hardware issue. You have two hard drives in this system? Platter or ssd? Sda2 may be on its way out.

https://forum.zorin.com/t/how-to-skip-grub-menu/15933/12

I once changed grub menu according to this. Grub timeout to 5 seconds.

I should have spotted this before with partition screenshot. You will heading for issues as Windows should be at start of drive before Zorin partition, not the other way around.

No, only one hard drive

I don't have windows installed

Looks like excessive startup programs are delaying your time. In Linux operating System the more applications in the startup tray, the more time it takes to boot the OS. Unlike Windows Linux Operating Systems do not have fast boot option that locks the hard drive and make the boot up fast.

Linux OS Loads the necessary startup programs it needs along with additional and unnecessary software's you may have added by mistake increasing your boot time. If the hardware specs are already low it will be real frustrating anyway. Removing Bloatware is the only option if you want to work on your PC's Boot up time.

I hope this will provide you the information you needed.:smile:

6 Likes

What are the two NTFS partitions in your extended partition?

The longer loading boot system i get when i used repair a desktop Zorin. Maybe IT depends how mamy partition or peripherals hardware is on pc or software on startup.

This could be a systemd problem, as well. I've installed OpenBSD, NomadBSD and Void/Artix and other non-systemd OSes and they all booted almost instantly off an NVMe; however, with systemd-based systems (such as Zorin), I actually see the logo and have time to hit the control key to see the boot sequence.

You could run

$ sudo journalctl --list-boots

and then, use the appropriate ID:

$ sudo journalctl -b

There are times that systemd-resolved also creates long boot problems.

One of the problems of systemd is that it works well... until it doesn't, then it can be a bit esoteric to figure out the cause.

Not saying that this is your specific issue, but it might be worth checking into if you're still having problems.

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 14.962s (firmware) + 3.548s (loader) + 4.435s (kernel) + 2.350s (userspace) = 25.296s
graphical.target reached after 2.342s in userspace

When i changed drivers to 470 it boot faster.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.