General Playability on Zorin OS

I'm not entirely sure where to start this. I know that Proton is NOT an official way to guarantee workability and function of non-linux games. I also know that most games were not developed with Linux in mind. I also may not know what I'm doing and that could 100% be my issue.

I am having so much trouble getting certain games to work that supposedly have a good rating in ProtonDB like Bannerlord or Elite Dangerous. I try all versions of Proton and I even try DOSBOX because apparently that was a compatibility option. I update all my drivers, system, etc to make sure it's updated accordingly. I know some of these games are supposed to run somewhat well on Linux with the compatibility layer provided by Steam, I've used them before, albeit almost a year ago on a different OS.

Is there something wrong here with using an Ubuntu derivative? Should I consider running Manjaro in a VM? I'm not lacking on system resources so I could justify it, just don't want to have to.

Idk, not entirely sure I'm looking for an answer, maybe a general discussion to see if anyone else is having any issues or to openly discuss this topic as the Steam Deck is nearing launch day and I'm not seeing the 100% Valve was stating. I thought it was a high goal to aim for. I know they are targeting Manjaro for proton, I don't want to switch from Zorin at all as my experience so far has been easier to deal with than an Arch derivative.

User @Michel seems to be the resident expert on Linux Gaming.

2 Likes

Well, there are lots of variables involved in running Windows games on Linux, and it might take some doing and testing to find out the right combination of software versions and settings for your hardware and drivers...

Hmmm... Can you please provide a concrete example of Proton game not working for you?

• Which Game?
  • What version of Proton?
  • Any special Proton parameters?
  • Which GPU and drivers you are using?

Ok, I have just confirmed "experimentally" that I can run Elite Dangerous on my laptop, with AMD integrated graphics card, on Zorin 16 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Elite Dangerous runs perfectly fine on my machine as well. But running Eggroll GE version of Proton - which is easy to install. There's several guides in here on how to.

I pasted some of the info from ProtonDB which is from Steam. This was pasted about a week ago so it's relatively recent information.

Just to stay consistent, Bannderlord, Elite Dangerous, and Temtem are 3 games I know I have ran before but cannot get them to work. I've used all versions of Proton available through Steam. I'm also including a neofetch screenshot.

As far as drivers? I'm not sure where to get that unless it's included in the Steam information pasted below.

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: ASRock
Model: B550AM Gaming
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x71
CPU Stepping: 0x0
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3600 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Description: Freedesktop.org 21.08.8 (Flatpak runtime) (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-43-generic
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12013000
X Window Manager: GNOME Shell
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20211207.0

Video Card:
Driver: AMD AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10, DRM 3.40.0, 5.11.0-43-generic, LLVM 12.0.1)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.3 (git-a65ad66c47)
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x731f
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 3
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 2160
Primary Display Size: 20.91" x 11.77" (23.98" diag)
53.1cm x 29.9cm (60.9cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 8192 MB

Sound card:
Audio device: ATI R6xx HDMI

Memory:
RAM: 32034 MB

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 3754025 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 3356733 MB

Storage:
Number of SSDs: 0
Number of HDDs: 0

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.