Getting a DVD drive to work?

I am having difficulty mounting a dvd drive in Zorin OS 15.3. In the “Disk” app it shows up as a “CD Drive”. After looking though the forums, I found a post saying I had to eject it, but when I try to eject it by pressing “eject” button on the app, nothing happened. I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop. In the “Disk” app the cd drive it says the model is a HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GU90N (A1C0). When I used to have Windows 10 on the computer, the small light on the drive would always be green(if I remember correctly). Also, there is a physical eject on the cd drive itself, but when pressed,does nothing.

I am new to this forum and have only used Linux for about a year or so, distro hopping from Manjaro to Zorin OS. I would really appreciate any help on this as, judging from what I’ve seen searching on this forum, I have a unique problem. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well, to start out, can you check installing the following packages, just in case:

sudo apt install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdvd-pkg

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I hadn’t heard of this problem yet, I sincerely hope that it will resolve, if you can, post here telling how you did it.