Getting a DVD drive to work?

I am having difficulty mounting a dvd drive in Zorin OS 15.3. In the “Disk” app it shows up as a “CD Drive”. After looking though the forums, I found a post saying I had to eject it, but when I try to eject it by pressing “eject” button on the app, nothing happened. I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop. In the “Disk” app the cd drive it says the model is a HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GU90N (A1C0). When I used to have Windows 10 on the computer, the small light on the drive would always be green(if I remember correctly). Also, there is a physical eject on the cd drive itself, but when pressed,does nothing.

I am new to this forum and have only used Linux for about a year or so, distro hopping from Manjaro to Zorin OS. I would really appreciate any help on this as, judging from what I’ve seen searching on this forum, I have a unique problem. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well, to start out, can you check installing the following packages, just in case:

sudo apt install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdvd-pkg

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I hadn’t heard of this problem yet, I sincerely hope that it will resolve, if you can, post here telling how you did it.

I Have a kind of similar situation. but my CD drive is not even shown in the "Disk" App

In the past, issues like this have indicated a hardware problem. Please check the SATA and power cables.

I just tried this method , but when did the first command, this came up! now what? See below.

@brettsir-Inspiron-560s:~$ sudo apt install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdvd-pkg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libdvdread4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Try with libdvdread7 instead.
Note @bhermance you bumped a very old thread,, which means the data can be obsolete.