GNOME 41 Launch

If this is true, and my OS updates to Gnome 41 on my main gaming rig, which has POP OS on it, I will let you all know how I like it, or don't like it. Keep in mind though, for those of us who primarily use Gnome, we will generally see improvements in later versions.

Most of the people who hate on Gnome, never use Gnome in the first place, and only use XFCE or some other deal. So to get the best opinions, you should get them from Gnome users who have been using Gnome for years, and see how they feel about it.

In regards to the time it takes for testing and fixing bugs, this is where Aravisian and I will always agree though. Higher number isn't always better. And those who jump on too quickly, will find a face fool of bugs.

So always better for time to go by to work out bugs, and then update. Since the boys at System76 show that they are quite compitant at what they do, I would expect that they would have it fully tested before upgrading to it.

1 Like

I am already trying it on Fedora, the apps are really beautiful. I haven't tried the new app yet.

2 Likes

And a whole lotta removals. Much of the removals from gtk4 are formulated to set-back all other desktops in yet another major dirty move by Gnome.

No... We used Gnome. That is how we know... and why we have very good reasons to hate Gnome. Passionately. Gnome is about as Anti-FOSS as it gets and even Gnome admits this. That is why we do not use it.

1 Like

Gnome 41 is good tho, it's becoming more like a platform instead of an Desktop Environment

But they create open source software

1 Like

Shrug. No... I do not agree...
At.
All.

I have looked much more Closely at it... Not some reviewers fakery, telling me what to think.

The Code.

1 Like

Aravisian is obviously alluding to the fact that in the code, there is sniffing going on, Microsoft level like antics. If this is true, then Aravisian should provide proof of this.

The more informed that people are about the possible dangers of Gnome the better. If Gnome 41 is dangerious, we need to know about it.

1 Like

I highly doubt it will, but if this is true I'm leaving immediately. Gnome 41 is a small update to just make the apps more tidy.

I have said nothing that obviously alludes to anything of the kind.

I have not found sniffing. In fact, it is not what I found that is the problem...

It is what I didn't find. And how loudly that silence speaks.

GTK 4 / Gnome 40 removes many essential classes that most non-gnome desktops that still use gtk rely on. The list of removals is also easily researched by anyone. Including the very start of this thread:

All the warning signs are there, with Red Lights Flashing. But all anyone sees, is "Bigger Number."

What this list of removals means; is that it undercuts all non-gnome desktops that use GTK, which is supposed to be the Gnu Toolkit, not the Gnome Toolkit... Elevating Gnome to Top Desktop in the market by throwing all other developers under the bus, using the FOSS toolkit that does not actually belong to Gnome.
Gnome-software? The only things that changed in it are some appearance tweaks (Including removal of aspects of the Scrollbars) as Kedric said. That's it.
It's still just as broken.
Nautilus? More feature and UI removals. Do the Reviewers cover that? Or just go on and on about how pretty they think it is?
Is the modern definition of "pretty" synonymous with "useless?" So minimalist it's not a computer, but an overcharged Tablet?

It reminds me very strongly of a certain Politician, making promise after promise to 'Drain The Swamp' to cheering crowds and unresearched gleeful applause... all while filling the swamp with his Own Corrupt Swamp Monsters.
And all sides refusing to see the damage, the danger and the underlying cause of it all...

It's best I stay out of this thread. My blood is boiling.

1 Like

Guys I have been using Fedora 34 GNOME 40 as my daily driver. I have not found a SINGLE bug (except long loading time of software center). It's very stable. Not only that, before GNOME 40 was launched, Fedora and openSUSE knew that it is a major update for the people who are using GNOME 3.38, and hence they started to work a lot for implementing it on Fedora 34 and openSUSE Tumbleweed. As @Kedric mentioned, GNOME 40 is a pretty awesome and smooth. And it is a major leap for the people using GNOME 3.38. Trust me, you will fall in love when you use GNOME 40. Even though I like Zorin OS, but as I have started using GNOME 40, it made my life even more productive and easy. How? Because GNOME 40 has Wayland, and all those people having issue in Touchpads in Zorin OS, will never have any problem in Wayland, as it is very refined for modern computers, touchpads and other devices. I do not mean to offend Zorin for such problems, but if they would implement GNOME 40, or let's say even Wayland, then you guys will like it very much. Wayland has more touchpad gestures than Xorg. At least try Fedora 34 or openSUSE Tumbleweed in live pendrive, if you don't want to install it. The moment you will use it, you will love it and will install it alongside your main OS :wink:

I haven't used OpenSUSE before, is it good? I actually love Fedora, if you don't like things breaking Fedora is the way to go.

1 Like

openSUSE is also awesome, but it is a bit large in size, and as you have Fedora 34 installed already, hence I would not recommend you to install openSUSE, as it has the same experience as Fedora, except some app interface, etc.

OPEN SUSE and MANDRAKE were technically the first Linux distro's that I tried back in the 2000's, which was my very first time dabbling in Linux period. I can tell you right now, neither of those distro's were ready for prime time.

It was like trying to get Windows 3.1 to Windows 98 setup. And if you didn't have a set of drivers to install on those OS's, you weren't going to be able to use your hardware. Well this was my experience with OPENSUSE and MANDRAKE in the 2000's.

Coming from Windows, obviously, I had no drivers for Linux, I didn't know how to get drivers for Linux, I didn't know where to go, what to do. And because those distro's, at least back then, were just as incompitent as Windows from back in the 90's, I couldn't get on the internet.

Thats right, the browser would not even connect to the freaking internet! Without internet, how am I supposed to hunt down drivers even if there were any at the time? And my GPU, couldn't activate the GPU properly with acceleration without driver support either.

Basically, it was just too much for me, or for any Windows user, to handle to be perfectly honest. Realizing I wasn't going to get anywhere with those OS's other then looking at the ugly desktops, I gave up, and returned to Windows.

At that time, it was the smartest decision I made. But these days, Linux is so much better then it was. Issues that users have today with Zorin, are not as bad as Linux distro's in the 2000's. At least you can get on the net! At least there are drivers to find!

At least now the Linux kernel comes with driver support built in where you don't have to hunt down for certain drivers! So thats why I say, when you've experienced Linux in the past, thats how you know how much better it is now. And thats the case with me.

2 Likes

I just updated my Zorin 16, there is Gnome 41 there. But there are 3 versions of Gnome installed on my Zorin. Do I need all of the versions?

Open Suse Tumbleweed is alive big corporation bought this distribution. Never problems with drivers any PC. For more medium people users linux.

That is Flatpak, right? It's not a DE. You can remove unused dependencies:

flatpak remove --unused

I agree, if you can confirm its Flatpak, it shouldn't hurt to remove them. But if they are NOT Flatpacks, you will do more harm then good removing them, so just make sure.

If it's not, just do an autoremove command to check is it an unused dependency.

I checked POP OS this design is near Zorin 16 Pro.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.