Gnome Info

Yeah, I assumed Vanilla Gnome just altered gnome (I think my icon pack got changed and that was it)

Vanilla Gnome is supposed to be a bit of Gnome Flashback.
I only ever tried it out when I first switched to Linux. I tried it out because I switched away from Microsoft and I found Gnome to be too much like Microsoft. I went from one restrictive OS to another restrictive OS.
I thought Vanilla Gnome would ease that tension. It did not and I removed it shortly after... So I do not remember many of the details.
I switched to Zorin OS Lite not long after and although I had an initial reaction and did not like XFCE, that swiftly changed and before long, I felt much less restricted and back in control of my own machine.

I can tell you how to remove it...

sudo apt purge vanilla-gnome-default-settings vanilla-gnome-desktop

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

But tweaking or modifying it- I realize today how much I forgot yesterday.

While I don't think this is a good idea, theoretically could I reset Zorin's gnome to stock gnome?

Yes, but the only way I know of is by removing the vanilla-gnome-desktop.

At least you know you can do it...

It may be that a user far more familiar with Vanilla-Gnome knows far more about how to customize it.

I tried searching the web for the GDM3 login screen issue but came up empty handed.

I did what you did, I think my mistake was that I thought Vanilla Gnome was Gnome (I think I searched for something that ended up telling me about Ubuntu and Ubuntu's modified Gnome and somewhere got confused)

I was pretty sure that I recall that I could choose the desktop at login, so I searched this.
According to this... Yes. It appears in the log in options as Gnome Classic:
https://www.how2shout.com/linux/install-gnome-vanilla-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts-focal-fossa/https://www.how2shout.com/linux/install-gnome-vanilla-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts-focal-fossa/

I wonder if your installation of Vanilla Gnome actually got corrupted...

It might have.

I used $ sudo apt install gnome-session gdm3 and did get a second thing to log into... but it looks the exact same as the Zorin thing

(also my lock screen is fixed, thanks)

1 Like

So I tried stock gnome with Nobara OS on my new laptop, which was really nice. However, I had some problems with it and want to use Zorin. Would it be possible to install stock gnome on zorin?

Nobara OS is currently above Gnome 40.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.