Gnome: tray icons gone

Its possible your extensions got shutoff in the update, its happened before back when I was on OS 12.4.

Install Gnome-Tweaks which provides you better access to system tweaking. Yes, it can be found in the Software Store, and as long as that isn't broken too, you will find it there. Once installed, launch the Gnome Tweaks.

Go to the EXTENSIONS tab. Look for any extensions in relation to what you were using. If you see them toggled off, toggle them back on please. If extensions throw an error when you try to do so, that might mean that the extensions need updating.

4 Likes

In addition to these tips, also try disabling all extensions, rebooting, then enabling all the extensions you want running.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. I have gnome extensions installed, I’ve debug by enabling and disabling. It seems I’ve found the culprit. App indicator but I still cannot understand the erratic behavior, the icons appear again when I turn it off and on, but if I open a new app, it will not update, I will need to do the same procedure. It seems a extension error. Tomorrow I will investigate further.

Can you please try:

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell-extension-zorin-appindicator

1 Like

done but the problem still persists. :frowning:
i will keep the investigation but seems to me a bug within the extension.

1 Like

I recall another user commented on this some months back. Let me try searching the forum on that for a bit.

Ok... I found this response from ZorinGroup that relates, as well as several threads that remain unsolved on this issue. Here is the response from ZorinGroup:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the tip @Aravisian I've installed the new extension following the instructions. Problem persists, with either extensions.
Seems to me the problem is not on the extensions but rather on other thing on the taskbar configuration.
Furthermore, with the Tray Icons reloaded extension I get only one icon that I've never seen before, for the reminders. No dropbox, stacer, flameshot...

1 Like

I wonder if you might disable All Panel Extensions except for notification area, then test what happens.

1 Like

So, following your suggestion I've made some testing with different extensions on and off. I was not able to solve the problem but I've found some interesting things:

1. If I turn off the User Themes extension, all the supposed system tray icons appear. However with it turned off if I open a new app that will minimize to the system tray, like Telegram, will not appear until I turn off and on the extension.
  2. Exactly same behavior happens with the Zorin Appindicators extension. Off&on and the icons appear but no new icons afterwards. So it seems it doesnt update automatically.
    This is a odd behavior, I'm not able to understand which extension is causing this issue. Again I find strange no one else has seen the same problem, which leads me to think I might have some other configuration that is causing this issue. I'm inclined to kick off a virtual machine and try to reproduce the error in a clean Z16 core install.

Many people have, there are several current unsolved threads on it.

Ok. I feel relief then. I will wait for a correction. Thanks once again @Aravisian , you are omnipresent in this forum. :vulcan_salute:

I'm also facing these issues. Icons appear in tray every now and then, but then disappear after reboot and come back after several reboots. Very odd. Hope to see a solution soon. Happy to help testing out, the mentioned things didn't help.

2 Likes

Hi to all, I've finally found what was causing the issue. The culprit is a gnome extension called "Sound Input & Output Device Chooser". As an alternative the similar extension "Audio Switcher" does the same and works fine with Zorin 16 Core. Please check if it's solves the problem for you as well.

2 Likes

I am glad you found the solution.
Now you know why I am not a big fan of Gnome Extension.
Zorin is the only desktop I can live without any Gnome Extension.

I selected your answer as a solution :ballot_box_with_check:

1 Like

Thanks for believing but unfortunately, after some more tests, it seems the problem still persists. But I'm sure it's something to do with gnome extensions. I will do more tests during the upcoming days and return as soon i find anything relevant. I delete the solution status as I dont want to give false expectations to other with similar issue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@GuAl That's what helps...being upfront and honest. We can solve issues that way. So many sites out there that provide inaccurate info. Zorin forum strives to be a cut above the rest. :+1:

3 Likes

I think you are on the right track.

1 Like

Just to close this topic in case anyone returns back to it. Solution has been found and described in this post Zorin 16 Taskbar/Notification bar Issue Thanks to user @dhrumin75 for finding the solution for it.

2 Likes