Gnome Tweaks doesn't save changes

Hi,
I am new to Linux and Zorin OS 16 Core is my first distro ever. I am still a bit confused as to how the customization tools work. I installed Gnome Tweaks and have been able to change the cursor, for instance. However, when I change the Apps, Icons and Shell themes they only stay on for a minute and then they go back to default. How can I stop this from happening?

Thank you

Can you try:

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bk

What that command does is renames your Home Configuration directory as a Back up of your current configurations.
This will cause your system to create a new ~/.config directory that is set to the system defaults.
Log out - then back in. Or just reboot.
Test if gnome-tweaks settings are being saved.

If they are - you can browse through ~/.config-bk to see if there are any configuration files you wish to keep.
If there are none, you can just remove the ~/.config-bk directory entirely.

1 Like

Hi Aravisian, thank you for this very quick reply. I did what you suggested and the Tweaks settings haven't gone away. Thank you!
Now, I am not sure what I am looking for in that ~/.config-bk folder you mention. I see a lot of other folders and I don't know which one contains the files that are related to the Zorin themes I am using. Could you explain that to me, please?

Since I am literally new to Linux, there are multiple questions I am trying to solve by reading the forums. If I don't find an answer, should I post the questions as a reply to this post or should I create a new topic?

1 Like

If you had set any custom configurations... you would know what you are looking for.
If everything looks ok, then it's probably fine.

New questions warrant their own topic since combining them can be confusing to follow.

1 Like

I agree plus it makes it easier for someone like me who has the same problem to do a Question & Answer search on the board later on down the road ..... and yes I know I do it also but I'm trying to o better .... honest ..... :face_holding_back_tears:

Use Zorin Appearance instead.

Theme -> Other. Then select your Application, Icons & Shell theme.