Got Messed up while checking the Zorin 16 Lite to 17 Lite Upgrade

Hello all

So I ran the upgrader this morning to check the Zorin Lite 16 to Zorin Lite 17 upgrade. I was on the screen where it says "checking upgrade requirements". It was taking time so I was waiting, I didn't realise that my electricity has gone and after 2 mins my laptop shutdown and took a good nap.

An hour later booted it up and ran sudo apt update and this is what I got :smiling_face_with_tear:

Sources have changed from focal to jammy and there are some additional errors. Before Checking the 16 to 17 Lite Upgrader there were total 30 apt upgradables but now its 1888.

I had thought that after checking the requirements upgrader will show me download size of the upgrade and ask for the confirmation to continue or not but looks like in that mean time it did made some changes.

I'm not trying to upgrade to 17 Lite yet, I just wanted to check the Upgrade download size. Any way to discard the changes and and fix it?

cat /etc/os-release still shows it focal.
Screenshot_2024-04-18_14-41-10_024219

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

aravisian-ubuntu-gtk-theming-focal.list
aravisian-ubuntu-gtk-theming-focal.list.save
gezakovacs-ubuntu-ppa-focal.list
gezakovacs-ubuntu-ppa-focal.list.save
megasync.list
megasync.list.save
opera-stable.list
opera-stable.list.save
plushuang-tw-ubuntu-uget-stable-focal.list
plushuang-tw-ubuntu-uget-stable-focal.list.save
protonvpn-stable.list
protonvpn-stable.list.save
protonvpn-stable.list.upgrade_simulate
savoury1-ubuntu-chromium-focal.list
savoury1-ubuntu-chromium-focal.list.save
savoury1-ubuntu-ffmpeg4-focal.list
savoury1-ubuntu-ffmpeg4-focal.list.save
savoury1-ubuntu-ffmpeg4-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
teejee2008-ubuntu-foss-focal.list
teejee2008-ubuntu-foss-focal.list.save
teejee2008-ubuntu-foss-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
teejee2008-ubuntu-ppa-focal.list
teejee2008-ubuntu-ppa-focal.list.save
tomtomtom-ubuntu-yt-dlp-focal.list
tomtomtom-ubuntu-yt-dlp-focal.list.save
tomtomtom-ubuntu-yt-dlp-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
yannubuntu-ubuntu-boot-repair-focal.list
yannubuntu-ubuntu-boot-repair-focal.list.save
ytvwld-ubuntu-asciiquarium-focal.list
ytvwld-ubuntu-asciiquarium-focal.list.save
ytvwld-ubuntu-asciiquarium-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
zorin.list
zorin.list.save
zorin.list.upgrade_simulate
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list.upgrade_simulate
zorin-upgrader-simulate.list

On Your first Pucture are these Errors with the ignored Files because of invalid file Names. They all have this .upgrade_simulate Endings.

I would suggest to save these Files in a Folder on the Desktop and then delete them from the sources.list.d Folder. It is risky, yes. But when You should get Problems You can pack the Files back from the saved Folder.

1 Like

Ok, I will try that and what to do about the sources?

They have changed to jammy but I'm still in 16.3 which should have focal.

The Sources ... I would think You must change it back to Focal manually. In Your sources.list.d Folder are the focal Files. So, You should look how Your sources.list File looks like. Oh, and in sources.list.d the zorin.list File.

I don't know if this would be an Option for You but You could simply safe Your Data Stuff and make a fresh Reinstall. It is surely not the best Solution but then You have a nromal System back.

1 Like

Any effort will be risky.

It looks like the upgrade tool was partially run.

Given that you were willing to test the upgrader tool on this machine, I would think that it would be considered as safe to do a full reinstall. Without knowing at which point the upgrader was halted, it is difficult to know what things were changed (Including system packages) that may haunt you later.

2 Likes

So I remembered I have a timeshift backup which was taken on February 2024.

If restore this backup will it solve this? and Should I run the timeshift backup from a live environment or it will work from the current boot up too?
(Never had done any timeshift restore before so I'm a little confused.)

I'm saving this option to the last in the list, plus you have already mentioned it that iso doesn't boot properly.

You can run the Timeshift Restore from either the Booted OS or from a LiveUSb if you cannot boot into your system. As you can boot, you should have no trouble restoring using Timeshift from your build of Zorin OS.
You can just launch Timeshift, then select Restore Image, then click on restore.

2 Likes

Restored using timeshift backup, system back to normal :smiley:

Thank you for the steps and explanation :smiling_face:

1 Like