Grey scren on VNC connect - How to configure VNC server with Gnome on Zorin OS?

I'm trying to access Zorin OS 16 Pro through screen share(VNC) from my mac.

As i know this version of Zorin OS is based on Ubuntu 20.04.something, so i thought an Ubuntu guide will do for this. So i did the initial setup according to this: How to Install and Configure VNC on Ubuntu 20.04 | DigitalOcean

On Mac OS i use an app called Remote Ripple and im able to connect to the VNC server, however, i only see grey screen. I did some google and i think the issue is probably that im not using the proper configuration for the TightVNC server.

I checked the running desktop manager(echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP) on Zorin OS and it says: Gnome.

Can you tell me what would be the proper way to setup/config VNC server for Gnome desktop on Zorin OS? Or just for any desktop...

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If you are connecting to the machines on the same home network, you do not need to do any extra steps for a security.

I have a WordPress server on Raspberry Pi running MXLinux and I connect to it from my desktop Zorin without any issue.

All I did was installing VNC-Viewer-6.21.406-Linux-x64.deb on Zorin and VNC-Server-6.7.4-Linux-x64.deb to the Wordpress server.
No command line required (TM)

4 Likes

Oh, man! That was fast. :slight_smile:
I'm already writing this through RealVNC connect. Thanks for saving me numerous steps and headache!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.