Grub 2.04 Default

I just installed Zorin on the main SSD and Windows as a backup on another ssd.

After updating grub windows is shown and everything works perfekt.

My grub look similar to this. Is that zorins default grub? (picture is from the internet and not my actuall grub)

Yes, Not Sure about the Current Version, But Being an Ubuntu Distribution we actually have everything nearly similar to theirs :joy:

I thought its much more graphical and more appealing to the eye :smiley:

Is there a way to change that and for example have icons to choose from? Or would you not recommend to do so?

Zorin Provides it's own desktop that only runs on Ubuntu 20.04 and Below. You can Change Everything, The Procedure is Same for Every Ubuntu Distribution. While you are using gnome (core) version. The procedure might be a little different. Also, You need to keep the version Of Zorin in mind cause a lot of themes are only made for Ubuntu 22.04 and Do not work on Zorin OS.
Take a Look at this,

If you need any further assistance, you can ask here :wink:

I think you missunderstood.

I meant having a graphical UI for GRUB that shows icons for zorin and windows :slight_smile:

Some Might Work, Some May Not :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If Windows does not appear in the grub menu try the following command first. sudo update grub
Another way to resolve windows boot problems is with boot repair. sudo apt install boot-repair

The grub-customizer may allow you to add a windows boot entry if it can see it.
Grub-customizer will permanently change your grub configuration file which is difficult to restore if the package is removed.

I DO NOT recommend using Grub-Customizer in order to customize grub.
It can save configurations in unusual locations, making it difficult and frustrating to undo the changes.
It can also conflict with existing configurations, causing any number of headaches.
That being said... Yes, you can create a third party or user-made custom Grub Theme.
I do it, myself.

And Zorin comes with a Grub Theme that is made by ZorinGroup. You can even simply modify the Zorin Grub theme to your liking.
Run

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Look at the very bottom of the file and you will see if a theme is in use, what theme it is and the location it is stored in. In my case:

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/Azenis_grub/theme.txt

Zorin users that have not changed their grub theme should see the default Zorin Grub theme in its location.
A grub theme needs to carry its own Icons (for example, if you are looking to have a Custom Icon for Zorin OS and Windows), Fonts and a theme.txt file to tell it what to do.
You can look up guides on creating your own grub theme or download one you like from plng.com

1 Like

I totally agree, been there, done that, never again.

Is it the one shown in the picture (beginning of this tread)?

If not why dont I have the default one :smiley:

Yes I will not change it! Thanks for everybody's explanation!

1 Like

Can you please run

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Arrow key or scroll all the way to the bottom of the file and post what is present there in the file to this thread.

You can see at the bottom that it is using the Zorin Grub theme located at /usr/share/grub/themes/zorin

Ok so it does look similar to this
grafik

And thats the default zorin grub theme?

I would say similar, yes. The overall appearance looks a slightly different color. But that image you posted matches the Zorin OS grub menu very closely.
Part of why I increased my grub menu size, changed the icons and background image and the fonts...

You changed it but still not recommend to do it as a beginner I suppose.

I do not recommend using Grub Customizer software.

But as an oldie or a newbie, you can explore customizing your system all you want and I encourage that.
Just... make sure you keep backups.
And with you having your disk fully encrypted CIA style... I would suggest using a practice machine for any changes and then applying them to your encrypted one once you have your technique really nailed down.

1 Like

Haha I do get your point! Thanks for your endless support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.