Grub rescue

Hello,

I get grub rescue no such device error when installing zorin 16 on a hard drive. I'm trying to install only Zorin not dual boot.

I can get in using a series of commands, but I would prefer not to type that in every single time
set prefix (hd1,5)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal

I tried sudo grub-install /dev/sdb but get
skrhee@skrhee-corsair:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I also tried boot repair on a usb, but I cannot load the usb in UEFI mode for some reason.

Thank you for your help

1 Like

What is the size of the drive and of the EFI partition?

If I may suggest. Earlier this week had this same exact issue after the last kernel update on my Mint XFCE desktop backup PC. After a few days of attempting what you did, boot repair disk, several other things, many hours, I found the problem by chance...

When you turn on your pc, hit F2, or whatever it is to get into your boot menu.
Make sure the boot is looking for the correct hard drive, and if not change it to that. For some odd reason, that update switched my BIOS from looking for my
Samsung SSD to my Western Digital external drive I only use for storage.
That solved my issue, and hopefully will solve yours. Good Luck.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of my EFI partition

Yes, when you turn your pc on, have it go straight into the BIOS and check to make sure it's looking for the Kingston Drive. Google your pc model, OS and how to boot into bios. There will most like be a vid to show you how, if you don't know.

1 Like

Holy cow Jeff thanks so much! That totally worked. For some reason my computer decided to prioritize the other hard drive and not even show the bootable one as an option. A little work in the BIOS and everything is back to normal.

3 Likes

Glad it worked skrhee. If it didn't just happen to me, and by dumb luck seeing it myself, I wouldn't have been able to help you...lol

I'm guessing this being happy I could help someone is how Swarfendor437 used to feel, and how Aravisian feels 'All The Time', especially in the last several days...

3 Likes

I'll uhh... just let you think that...

Yes, the feeling of helping is a very good one. Happened the other day here, too - Poor guy (Literally) with a broken car and no way to get his kids to school. Not a charity case, just down on his luck with the pandemic. LUCKY... I had all the parts needed in stock. Cost to customer: $0.00
I made a man cry.

3 Likes