Guess I need some help with installing a desktop

Does alt+F2 work?

1 Like

Yes .... sorry I lost you as I had to reboot and then the screen was all screwed up and I couldn't see the right side of my screen it was hidden ... but alt + F2 does work

1 Like

Does alt-F2 allow you to launch gnome-terminal?

2 Likes

I don't see anything on the list that says Gnome Terminal

Frog... When you ran the installation earlier... Did the terminal give output that apt was going to Remove Anything?

1 Like

I can't see the far right side of my computer .... I can only read where it says to apt ... after that the rest of that sentence is missing .... but I do't recall it saying it was going to remove something ...

Hmmm?
When?

Do you have terminal open now?

What?

1 Like

No I'll have to shut down and boot back up and find the terminal among the folders again

Ok what window are you referring to here?

1 Like

The Vivaldi page that has the Zorin board in ... the one I am typing in now

From alt+F2, try: xterm

1 Like

Didn't see anything that said xterm ...

That is almost impossible.

Xterm is the base under all Terminal Emulators.
Are you hitting enter after typing it in?

1 Like

Sorry but I'm lost when I hit alt F2 all I see is a long list down the left side of the page with what looks like maybe something on the left side but I can't see them ....

What happens if you pull up alt+F2 and type in gnome-terminal
and then hit the enter key?
What happens if you pull up alt+F2 and type in xterm and
then hit the enter key?

1 Like

To be quite frank I see no where to type anything ...

Perhaps the window is off screen. Just type blindly and hit enter when done.

1 Like

OK got a full screen back but the alt F2 command has something to do with Vivaldi as everything in the list is related to the browser ...

Must be a sticky key

alt key plus F2 is supposed to bring up the Launcher Utility.

I am honestly at a loss. The symptoms you describe make it sound like your Desktop Environment was removed. But nothing about installing cinnamon opens up anything to remove any desktop.
tty won't accept your password. Cannot pull up launcher. Cannot pull up terminal. When you had a terminal, it said command not found - presumably apt or sudo.

None of this makes any sense at all.

1 Like