Have there been any updates or upgrades today on Zorin?

Yes I do. North West. Why?

1 Like

Hi John, whilst we have your attention, can you please edit your forum profile to indicate which edition (e.g. Pro, Core, Lite etc) of ZorinOS you have. Thanks.

Nice to meet you i live in Sweden!

FYI (For Your Information) ..... I've had 2 updates .... one yesterday and another one today ..... I will post them but this will be the last as you will not always have the same programs installed as I do and so you will not get some of these updates .....

Good luck with your updates .... I'm sure you will get some more .... :+1:

1 Like

I had updates for many libraries and zoom. This is dependent on software installed and the kernel version, so please take the terminals output as accurate.

2 Likes

The Antivirus update is ClamAV patch update that should address reported vulnerabilities as discussed here: ClamAV what's that article means? - #16 by zabadabadoo

(Note Z16/Ubuntu 20.04 probably has different updated version to the one I have on Z15)

1 Like

Is it a malicious program?

ClamAV is not a malicious program. It is a Antivirus program.

1 Like

I haven't installed it on my Machine?
I thought a linux distro didn't need a Antivirus program strange?

For the most part you are correct. As Linux gains popularity, and Microsoft's move to integrate the Linux kernel, I'm sure we'll see viruses that target Linux OSs. It would be prudent to look at antivirus software, possibly install it, before M$ finally integrates the kernel.

1 Like

Gosh can't Microsoft leave Linux alone Microsoft are not doing Linux or Zorin a favor?

1 Like

See this for info: Antivirus software

1 Like

Yes read is that really necessary i using Steam and i try to avoid to download things that aren't in the software store and i want a linux machine to make programming and stuff but to target linux with a anti-virus? We are not that many that uses Linux or Zorin compared to Microsoft and Windows?

M$ is working on integrating the kernel so the OS is developed by the Linux community, outsourcing the base of their OS for free. This will net them more money with little effort or work. This way they can focus on "as a service" and make money.

Anyone that disagrees, I understand your position, but consider where this is going... you will most likely come to the same conclusions I have.

1 Like

Just to clarify I did install ClamAV but don't use it .... I was curious when I read about it here on the board ..... just installed it about a month ago ..... not the most simplest program to use ..... but then I haven't played around with it much ....

To the question: "Do you need anti-virus on Linux?" I am going to make as statement (1) that many people will question.
I am then going to follow that with another statement (2) that is going to cause chaos.

1. ) You do not need anti-virus on Linux

2. ) You do not need anti-virus on WIndows, either.

2 Likes

It feels like people want to cram out money from linux users?

Any time that a demand or need can be perceived, someone is likely to try to squeeze money out of it.

1 Like

Never used anti-virus, only common sense.
But there are people who unfortunate lacks that ability...

1 Like

I don't understand. ClamAV/ClamtK is freeware.

1 Like