Having really bad wifi speed

having really bad wifi speed I try to stop power management but still, it works for some time after it's bad again. my other device getting more than 50Mbps but this one gets 0.5Mbps some time 20Mbps. and ping to router Ip is sometimes 1200+ms. I am using a barrier to share a mouse it is unusable most of the time.

lo no wireless extensions.

wwan0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"BlueSky" Nickname:"WIFI@REALTEK"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 28:6C:07:DF:7C:EB
Bit Rate:150 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:------- Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality=85/100 Signal level=74/100 Noise level=0/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1:2
logical name: wwan0
serial: 9a:d6:33:0f:8c:05
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=cdc_mbim driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic firmware=CDC MBIM link=no multicast=yes
*-network:1
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 54:e4:bd:5e:ae:23
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8723bs driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic ip=192.168.11.193 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

We have no information on what machine your running on, or what WIFI router that you are using. But I can tell you what I know....

My Zorin installation is installed on a 2011 dual core notebook computer that uses a Qualcomm Atheros wireless adapter inside, and its connected with a 1MBPS link, with a 150MBPS bit-rate.

My actual internet downloading rate to this notebook, is 67MBPS out of my available 90MB using this old computer's WIFI speed capabilities. Of course my new computer's WIFI gets the full 90MB on WIFI, as well as wired ethernet.

Please take an OOKLA speed test, and please post the results here. Here are mine...

this is my other pc speed test.

this is my zorin pc speed test.

And this is my POP OS test which is on my main machine connected by ethernet. How dare my provider reduce me by 1MB today, kept me from hitting my full 90MB, makes me mad. LOL

Yeah, this most certainly demonstrated that your machine is having a problem. Thats why I wanted it confirmed by a speed test. Basically, I was looking to see if it was just the computer was was lagging, making you think you had slow speed, or you actually had slow speed going on.

I suppose its possible that you don't have your Realtek drivers installed for your WIFI adapter? But don't those come with the kernel? See, I am always confused about stuff like that. I mean, I only assume its Realtek cause it says that for nickname.

In Terminal if you type lshw -c network

It should spit out some network results for us.

*-network:0 DISABLED
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1:2
logical name: wwan0
serial: 5e:7a:78:20:cc:5d
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=cdc_mbim driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic firmware=CDC MBIM link=no multicast=yes
*-network:1
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 54:e4:bd:5e:ae:23
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8723bs driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic ip=192.168.11.193 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

Geez, why the heck doesn't it not show your WIFI adapter? I feel like, unless you install HardInfo, also known as System Profiler, were never going to know. Well, I need to go to bed, I got work that I got to do and I need some sleep.

installed but can't find it all I find is rtl8723bs

Had the same issue on my Dell. The wifi was horrible after the Zorin install. Lite wifi was much better. But the best thing I did (believing it to be an issue with the Qualcomm Atheros wireless adapter in my Dell) was to buy this...

Now it's 100% on either....

Thats not a fix, this is a way to not solve a problem :joy:

1 Like

You're correct Michel, that wasn't a fix. It was a work around. Because after spending hours trying to resolve the issue with no positive results, I looked at other options. Putting that in instantly solved my issue.

I consider it a solution, since it solves the problem. A solution does not necessarily require a person to change code.

monkeybutt@Monkeybutt:~$ lshw -c network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eno1
version: 04
serial: b8:ca:3a:d3:1c:c6
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic firmware=0.13-3 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:33 memory:f7e00000-f7e1ffff memory:f7e39000-f7e39fff ioport:f080(size=32)
*-network
product: BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlp3s0b1
version: 01
serial: f4:b7:e2:5a:5d:2e
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmsmac driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic firmware=610.812 ip=192.168.1.178 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:17 memory:f7d00000-f7d03fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

This is my read out as I have issues as well , not sure what super user is...

M6700 i7 3940xm
250 SSD
16gb memory

Can you please try:

sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-dkms

Assuming you have any of the above installed...
Then, install:

sudo apt install broadcom-sta-dkms

@Aravisian Thanks! It may be my proximity to the WiFi connection as I notice my Chomebook struggling ( Ping 13 Down 15 Mbps ) although not near to laptop (Ping 3 Down 3.54Mbp) . But if I log my smartphone I get great speeds of 35 Mbps down 6ms Ping... so I'm thinking trace the whole thing out before removing and replacing. I'll be up all night if I have to reinstall. And my wife is already on my $%# to get some rest like others in our home :shushing_face:

1 Like

The technical age. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.