Health check for SSD?

On Windows I could check the "health" of my old laptop computer's Hard Drive by using the chkdsk command. Now I have a new laptop, with an SSD instead of a Hard Drive.

BTW, this laptop is devoted totally to Zorin Pro. :smile:

QUESTION: Is there an app for checking an SSD's health? If not is there a command? (NOTE: I can rock & roll on Zorin using apps but I have near-zero knowledge re terminal commands. Thus, if I must use commands instead of a nice, friendly app, please make allowances for my abject ignorance in this area.)

The application is Gnome Disks. Alternatively you can use command line:

2 Likes

gnomedisks is good as @swarfendor437 mentioned, though in my experience ssd's tend to just fail catastrophically as opposed to mechanical drives which slowly deteriorate.

2 Likes

Many thanks for the guidance. Zorin's package mgr found Disks -- it looks exactly like the app named Gnome Disks as depicted on the link you gave.

My computer has a Hard Drive (HD) & an SSD. Both are Western Digital. Disks reported the HD as "passed" & let me run the drive's self-test. It blacked out the SMART options & Self-Test options for the SSD.

When the pkg mgr found Disks, it also found GSmartControl, listed as an app to check HD & SSD health. It reported the SSD as "unknown model" and its status as "SMART not supported."

My guess is that GSC has a list of drive model numbers that it is programmed to handle, & my SSD is too new to have made its list. Huh?

1 Like

Also check out hdd tools on Hiren's boot CD and red somewhere that Seatools from Seagate can check other branded drives.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.