Help! I can't alt+tab, each window is causing problems, windows look weird, etc

Hi. So sometimes when I start my computer (Zorin OS Lite 16.1 /Xfce), each window has a distinct, slightly weird look (see pics). And there's some problems:

• I can't use alt+tab
  • if I click a window on one app, that app won't appear in front of other windows.
  • sometimes, if I press keys on my keyboard, the keys will work as if I'm using a completely different app
  • i can't move or maximize some windows.
  • i can't open window manager or window manager tweaks!

Restarting my pc used to fix this. But right now I can't fix it at all. I tried restarting, shutting down and turning back on, logging out and in. Doesn't fix it.

Turning off "save session for future logins" before shutting down my pc used to fix this. But not anymore.

How can I fix this and make it never ever happen again?

p.s. I feel like I asked this before, but I can't find the post.

1 Like

Okay. I think I found out the actual way to fix it:

• Open the "Session and Startup" app. It's under the Z icon in the bottom left corner, and under Settings.
  • click on the far right tab (right now it's called "Advanced", but I think it used to be called 'saved sessions' or something).
  • there was a saved session for startup. I reset it to default.
    Fixed.

A new question: is there a way to remove the option to "Save session for future logins" permanently? (it appears in the shut down, reset, logout, etc window). I think this caused the problem (it happened in Zorin Lite 15 too), and I only clicked it by accident (and also turned it on when I pressed alt+s when I meant to press alt+d), and I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

Save session should not have the above effect at all...
You might try

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bk

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-lite-desktop

Log out and in and test...

These half blanks looks like a separate work space, I saw that on taskbar settings you can enable/disable work spaces and isolate monitor.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.