Help setting up a Japanese Kana keyboard

Heya. I'm very new to Zorin and switch between it and Windows a lot depending what machine I have with me. I have a Japanese keyboard that allows for switches between romaji, hiragana, and katakana input that I've been using to learn how to touch-type Japanese via direct hiragana/katakana entry. So far, so good.

My problem starts when I try to install any Japanese language pack on Zorin. Installation works fine, but regardless of which I use (Mozc, etc) I'm not getting the keyboard functionality that goes with the physical keyboard

The closest so far is ibus-mozc, but the hiragana input on Mozc isn't hiragana entry (well, I can't find a way to make it direct hiragana entry). It's automated translation of romaji -> hiragana which isn't what I'm after (i.e I type は using the index finger of my left hand, rather than trying to juggle switching my thinking to romaji, typing 'ha' and then letting the software switch that to は while my brain moves back to thinking in hiragana).

I can't seem to find a way on Zorin that allows me to type directly as hiragana input (ibus-kana allows direct typing in katakana but doesn't seem to have an Eisu key, or an abiity to switch input to hiragana and then to continue typing in hiragana)

I also can't find a way that allows for the full use of a Japanese keyboard in the way it's meant to be used (Capslock/Eisu, Non-Conversion/Conversion, Hiragana/Katakana/Romaji keys working and allowing me to type and switch in the way I'm used to. e.g being able to switch between using the '3' key to enter '3', or '#', or 'あ', or 'ア' as I need)

Is anybody able to offer any advice on this? Preferrably pitched at a level for the complete beginner at Zorin that I am?

Thank you!

I'm thinking that the person who could answer this question the best, would be an expert on their own software. @AZorin Any idea on how this person can do this?

Zorin 15 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, so you can extend your web search to include that.
I have found this, but little else on the subject of japanese keyboard input:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JapaneseInput

Thank you!

Ibus is already integrated with Gnome you don't need any special commands. You can look at the table below:

this will show you what you need. I use Fcitx5 on KDE and IBUS on Gnome(i use them to type Chinese), There is more info on Input method - ArchWiki and IBus - ArchWiki.

Steps to get it working:

1. We need Input method for this example I will go with Ibus-mozc:
    To install Ibus-mozc we need to enter sudo apt install ibus-mozc.

2. Now we don't need out terminal anymore.

3. Go to Settings Region & Language -> Manage Installed Languages -> Install/Remove Languages -> Japenese-> Apply

4. Reboot

5. Settings -> Region & Language -> + Japenese -> Japenese (Mozc) -> Add

6. I never used Japanese and I also don't know how so if anything doesn't work I'm not gonna be helpful. You can ask me if you want to set up Chinese tho.

Tip: You can press Super + Spacebar to switch between languages.

Sorry but I don't even know Japenese at all so I don't know what is Japanese Kana Keyboard. I have poo poo brain. I hope this at least help 75% if not I failed my mission. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these links.
I even did not know such thing existed.
Since I am typing Japanese along with English, it is a very interesting piece of information :slight_smile:

1 Like

So now I'm on my phone, I know the information because I need to use it. I remember being so mad that I can't get fcitx5 to work that I broke my mouse, smashing its case after so many edits with the environment folder. If you want to know how to edit fcitx5 look at arch wiki link I post above I don't like using this on ly phone Im too familiar with the shortcuts. @FrenchPress what do you use to type in japanese in zorinos

There are several different methods but now almost everyone is using Mozc (Google Japanese) + iBus. In fact, it is so good I also switched Japanese input in Windows 10 to Google Japanese.

While I prefer XFCE FCITX over iBus, FCITX does not work very well in GNOME desktop.
If you are interested, I wrote a tutorial about iBus-Mozc here: Ibus-mozcのデフォルトをひらがな入力モードにする方法。 How to change default input mode of ibus-mozc to Hiragana

1 Like

I actually never tried XFCE, I used KDE, Cinnamon, Gnome and LXQT but never XFCE. I think I also ran deepin for a while

Sorry, I made a typo.
I meant FCITX, not XFCE.

Ow yes I was a little confused, My brain: wait XFCE has a IME? Are we talking about DE? Confusion!

It seems I am very good at confusing you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My take on IME, on anything other than Gnome use FCITX or FCITX5. Ur on Gnome use Ibus.

I think input system is quite personal.
Everybody has his/her own preference.
In certain languages including Japanese "what you type is NOT what you get" :crazy_face:

I tried this and I'm able to switch between Latin and Kana input with this. However, it is using US keyboard layout instead of Japanese keyboard layout. How do I fix this?

Edit: After readding Zorin's preinstalled Japanese keyboard layout, mozc is using the Japanese keyboard layout.

For reference to anyone else looking up how to use a Japanese Keyboard on Zorin, your input sources should look like this when set up correctly:

2 Likes

Before I had a chance to reply, you seemed to solve the issue yourself :slight_smile:
For your reference, this is how mine looks like (I am using US keyboard).