Help snaps and snapd zorin os

Hello I would like help to disable snaps, you see, I looked at some post from the zorin community, some of them are very old and I don't know if it works, and as I'm new to linux, even testing some distro and leaving windows 10, I wanted some instruction from you with knowledge, I apologize if it's some repetitive for some of you, as I'm from Brazil, I did some research and I'm sure of some steps, but as zorin is a distro derived from ubuntu, I'm afraid to do some step and break the distro in some way, I think it would be interesting to have some kind of guide for a certain area of zorin os and another question I have is about zorin os 18.1, will it also have an update point release 18.2 and 18.3?

This tutorial still work

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, it will have. You Point Release, You will receive over the normal Updates. So, you don't need to make a new Install with every Point Release.

For Snap: If I understand You correctly, you want get rid off it entirely. I do the following Steps to do that:

Type in Terminal (one Command at once):

sudo systemctl stop snapd snapd.socket
sudo systemctl disable snapd snapd.socket
sudo apt purge snapd gnome-software-plugin-snap
sudo apt autoremove

(but check the List of the to be removing Packages before You delete them).

Then reboot. To avoid future Snap Installation, You can create a File to downgrade the Snap Package Installation. Open the Terminal and type

sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/no-snap.pref

In the empty Space copy the following Content:

# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of snap,
# this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.

Package: snapd
Pin: release a=*
Pin-Priority: -10

When copied, press ctrl+o to save, Enter to confirm and ctrl+x to exit. Back in the normal Terminal Overview type sudo apt update and then it's done.