Help with data recovery

So I just did a little oopsie and deleted a wrong directory with some files in it with the rm command. The files that were deleted were hopefully not that important and I can easily grab a backup of them but I want to be prepared for the worst. What are some good data recovery applications for Linux?

Moral of the story: always be prepared for the worst and have MULTIPLE backups of your important files. I have been in many horrifying and depressing situations thanks to not taking backups seriously!

3 Likes

I use Diskdigger. It is free and works quite well for that price. Available for Linux or Windows.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'd want to use an Open-source and libre application. From my quick research, it seems that Diskdigger is closed source and has features locked behind paywalls.

1 Like

You may try TestDisk:

1 Like

Thank you, that seems to be a good application. I originally came across it but I thought it is only intended to recover dead partitions and drives, and does not work for individual files and folders. Also the lack of UI drove me off.

1 Like

That is actually why I default to suggesting Diskdigger. Not everything is always Open Source, though we prefer it. And to be technical, the 'features' of Zorin OS Ultimate are locked behind paywalls. :wink: Developers should be paid for their work... But the features that are essential on DiskDigger are free; a person can pay for Convenience features.

There are many CLI commands that can perform a huge variety of recovery processes. The beauty of the CLI is that it goes far above and beyond what most any limited GUI application can offer- which is part of what I think scares people.

There is Ddrescue - though I have never used it and I am not sure if it fulfils your requirements, though you may look that up, as well.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using the Terminal Emulator in Linux Distros