Horizontal bar with options for viewing files in folders went missing

Hello,

This OS is the best I've used thus far and it's been mostly running smoothly for me. Recently I accidentally clicked something and now I have lost the ability to view and use that top horizontal bar where I could click and select how to view files in folders - as a list, as medium icons, as large icons, etc.

I have spent many hours on my computer and online and can't find the answer on how to click somewhere to re-enable that bar and those options. I know the bar is not the taskbar which is on the bottom and and can be activated using a Windows key. This is not the filepath bar that shows the sequence of folders. This is some sort of "menu bar" that had more options on it.

I have already tried looking thru appearance, window manager, etc. I have looked thru this forum and youtube and don't see how to get that bar back.

What is this now missing bar called and how can I get it back?

Thanks for your time.

I solved the problem.
I have Thunar File Manager and the uppermost bar, the Menubar went missing.

If you press Ctrl + M on your keyboard you can get it back.
Press Ctrl + B to get the left side menu back.

Here is a list of keyboard shortcuts for Thunar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/ljav4t/list_of_thunar_keyboard_shortcuts/

These may apply if you have a similar problem:

view-as-compact-list Ctrl+3
view-as-detailed-list Ctrl+2
view-as-icons Ctrl+1
view-menubar Ctrl+m
view-side-pane-shortcuts Ctrl+b

Hope this helps, I wish there was a right-click option or something more easier as the word "menubar" did not come up with much when paired with "zorin" for a solution search. Since there are multiple file managers each have their various options.

1 Like

Interestingly, in the default Thunar without any theming, you have a button at the top that can be used to tweak everything back. I guess in Zorin OS this has been removed for aesthetics:

This is on Debian 12 with XFCE.