How can I only make the taskbar black?

Hi! I want to use white palette except for the taskbar (taskbar must be black). How can I do it?

1 Like

Dracarys, welcome to the forum.
Are you using Zorin Core or Ultimate (Gnome desktop) or Zorin Lite or Ultimate Lite (XFCE Desktop)?

I use Zorin Core. Gnome

You can install gnome-tweaks

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

In Gnome Tweaks, go to the "extensions" tab on the left, then in the right pane, ensure that "user themes" is enabled.

This will allow you to load gnome extensions and gnome-shell themes in addition to using the Zorin Appearance app.
You might search for gnome-shell themes that suit your needs or Gnome-extensions that can change the panel color and text color.

Beyond that, I am not the expert in Gnome Desktop. I use a couple different D.E.'s.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try it

Sure thing. If you really cannot find anything that suits what you need, say so. I can probably cobble together a gnome-shell theme you can apply.

Do you know the name of an extension that changes the panel color?

I do not.
I do not use gnome, so I cannot be sure if there is a gnome extension that specifically changes panel color or what it is called if there is.
If I was using Gnome and I wanted to alter the panel, I would do so by creating a .css file for it (Or creating a Gnome Shell theme). This would give me fuller control and a lot more customization.
In your ~/.local/share/gtk-3.0 folder you can create a gtk.css file if one does not already exist in it.
In that text file gtk.css, input could be like the following:

@import url("/usr/share/themes/ZorinBlue-Dark/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css");
#panel {
background-color: #000
color: #ffffff;
font-family: ubuntu, cantarell;
font-size: 0.9em;
font-weight: normal;
height: 1.55em;
}
.panel-button {
padding: 6px;
font-family: MintSpirit, ubuntu, cantarrell;
font-weight: bold;
color: #fff;
transition-duration: 100;
}
.panel-button:hover {
color: #000;
font-weight: bold;
}

This is a crude example. But if it works for you in principle, it can be refined.

1 Like

Agree.

Somehow I kept a basic “light theme” and got a black taskbar using Gnome Tweaks. Unfortunately I don’t know exactly how, as I was fiddling with all sorts of things at the time.

Hi @Dracarys, welcome to the forum!

If you have Gnome Tweaks installed and you don’t have Zorin Auto Theme enabled (the option in Zorin Appearance to automatically change the theme background colour throughout the day), you can set the panel and shell to be dark while the rest of the theme (in the apps and menus) stays light by following these steps:

1. Open the Zorin menu > System Tools > Tweaks
  2. In the “Appearance” tab, set the “Shell” theme to “ZorinBlue-Dark”
2 Likes

You can also use Dynamic Panel Transparency Extension:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1011/dynamic-panel-transparency/

I covered this in the unofficial manual - don’t ask me what page! :wink:

Gnome Tweaks/Extensions is on page 108 in Swarf’s “Zorin 15 Core Final Manual” that I have. :grinning:
Dynamic Panel Transparancy works and looks nice IMO.

2 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread.
Question: Does gnome tweaks also allow you to create a dark semi-transparent taskbar in a light threme on Zorin16 Core Beta?

I am not keen on white taskbar but want to retain light theme for everything else, same as I have in 15.3.

I believe in Gnome Tweaks you can set the System theme under Appearance Tab, then set the Gnome-Shell Theme separately just below that.

Thank you, AZorin. With that simple change Zorin 16 came ALIVE to me !