How did I delete the entire settings-daemon folder in GUI deconf?

I was trying to follow the directions here to fix my media keys.

I thought that all I did was change the values of some fields with innocent names like "brightness-up-static" to '', and hit the "Apply" button. Yet it seems like every folder I looked in is now gone, up through the level of /org/gnome/settings-daemon/.

I'm guessing that reinstalling the OS is the only recourse, but would someone please clue me in on what I could have done wrong? So I don't accidentally do it again?

-Aidan

Which solution did you follow? 40 upvotes, 37, 21? If you assign an empty string to a value, it is possible that the system recognized this and removed the file (Ubuntu devs idea of helping? ). You can ask someone to post these files contents or share theirs. I would have tried to modify the settings or went through the acpi interface (how the system works with function key presses)...dcof-editor is a really powerful tool (and it may be this tool that removed the files with no values). Be careful in its use and what you use it for.

There is a tutorial in the same category discussing acpi interactions and screen brightness for Zorin 15... I'll see if i can find it and post the link.

See if this helps point you in the right direction.

The answer I was referring to was the one by "darkdude", currently with 40 upvotes.

1 Like

If you remember the file names, you can attempt to recreate them by hand. Have you checked the trash to see if they are there? It's possible that the trash was bypassed.

I did think to check the trash, and, unfortunately, they're not there. Even if I remembered the files I touched, the issue is that higher levels of folders were also deleted, so things I never saw, which might have been important, also got deleted.

If anyone would share their dconf files (and maybe a hint as to where to put them?), I'd appreciate it.

If files beyond this directory were deleted, there is no easy way to find what's missing and effected by the changes you made. The best bet is to reinstall and not use that solution (the first solution may not always be the best course of action). Editing those files with gedit or nano would have been better, since other management software wouldn't be involved.

A file explorer and a text editor is all that's necessary. I would reserve dconf-editor for a specific hard to find setting.... if the directory and file are given, the best option is the terminal/ file browser and text editor.

2 Likes

If you used Dconf-Editor to make the changes, it still has the default values... just go back through Dconf-Editor and set the values to "Use Default Value".

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.