How Do I Change Owners/Permissions?

Hello everyone! Full disclosure before I get into it: I am HEAVILY a Linux noob. So thank you in advance for you patience.

While trying to change the icons and overall look of one of my users on OS 16.2, I ran into an issue where I don't have permission to move certain things into certain folders. I have 3 users set up right now: [Dad's Name], Admin, [Mom's Name]. When I first installed the OS, I created my Dad's user first before the Admin user, so technically his user is the owner. Bit shortsighted on my part, so I figured that's fine I can just change permissions. Only problem is, I'm sort of unsure what I am doing. I managed to get to root Properties, and I can see I can change owner from "root" to "Admin," but will that affect anything? Just want to be sure before moving forward.

I know I could easily just change my Dad's user to "Admin," but then the home folder will stay stuck as "[Dad's Name]" instead of "Admin," and for sake of uniformity (and to silence my OCD), I'd like to avoid that. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you!

1 Like

You also could switch the Dad and Admin accounts.
Change the username for the Admin account to your dads and transfer over any files from /home/dad to that home folder.
And the same for the current dad account changing it to Admin.
Might be an easier way.

1 Like

Thought of that, but this would drive me crazy, unfortunately.

In that case, you should be able to use Activities Overview to access the user privileges and change them:
https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/user-admin-change.html

1 Like

Ugh, I'm an idiot. Thanks, m'friend!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.