How do I make windows and other control look more like the taskbar?

How do I make windows and other control look more like the taskbar?

there is a black border around the some windows and I would like to have a my windows and control look tranparent like the taskbar can be.

Shadowblitz,
Navigate to ~/.config/gtk-3.0
Create a New file within that folder named gtk.css
Paste within it

decoration {
 margin: 10px;
 border-radius: 10px;
 border-width: 0px;
 box-shadow: 0 10px 15px 5px transparent, 0 0 0 1px transparent; }

decoration:backdrop {
 box-shadow: 0 10px 15px 5px transparent, 0 3px 6px 2px transparent, 0 0 0 1px transparent;
 transition: 150ms ease-out; }

.popup decoration {
 box-shadow: none; }

.ssd decoration {
 box-shadow: 0 0 0 1px transparent; }

.csd.popup decoration {
 border-radius: 8px;
 box-shadow: 0 3px 6px 1px transparent, 0 0 0 1px transparent; }

tooltip.csd decoration {
 box-shadow: none; }

messagedialog.csd decoration {
 box-shadow: 0 3px 6px 1px transparent, 0 0 0 1px transparent; }

.solid-csd decoration { 
 margin: 0;
 padding: 4px;
 background-color: transparent;
 border: solid 1px transparent;
 border-radius: 0; }

Save the file, then log out and in to see the changes.

1 Like

@Shadowblitz16 Be good to see your "after" screenshots to compare to the "before" ones above. :smiley:

seems like dynamic transparency still doesn't work for windows.
but the black border is gone

Hmmm... Odd. I tested that .css before posting... On mine, it removed the shadows. I left the dimensions as they were and offered transparency in order to give you an edge to grab for resizing a window. On mine, that got rid of the box shadow. On yours, I see in the screenshot that the shadow is still there.
If that is not working out, can change Margins to 10px, then change each box shadow to all 0px. e.g. box-shadow: 0px solid transparent;

nope transparency still not working

I wonder if I need a gnome extension to make it work for windows

I do not understand. We must be referring to different things. The screenshot you just posted looks exactly like my test results and what I was aiming for. You were trying to remove the darker border.

yes but I also want the application windows to use dynamic transparency like the taskbar.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I am sure you are thinking on the right track for a Gnome Extension.
But I do not know what that extension may be. I am also not sure of whether 'dynamic' transparency would be available. The panel is governed by Gnome-Shell and the windows governed by Mutter.
Searching for gnome extensions under your search terms may help you to find what you are looking for or determine if it is available.