How do I Update to the Best Nvidia Driver for My PC?

Nah more under with older cpu vulkan could not working properly. What that means a games not working? It wrote with older cpu Vulkan could not working properly with some games. That is correct? With newer cpu Culkan offer full support.

Games, older media software and hardware acceleration (i believe)/rendering capability... you shouldn't have to much to worry about unless you're playing the latest and greatest games on that pc.

2 Likes

Ram, gpu ram, cache and network are all places that lag can be an issue. Are the movies local or online?

While using a newer driver may assist in encoding/decoding processes, most of the features of a driver do not resolve "lag". This is normally resolved by increasing the ram available for the gpu and the system (which will be used when the gpu ram isn't sufficient).

If it's an online movie or game, improving your signal strength (if wireless) by repeaters may help, wiring instead of wireless, upgrading your router and finally, improving your network service (usually by upgrading plans) will all help in network lag. Turning off VPN's will greatly increase network performance.

1 Like

Well network is directly connected with a cable.
Ram 16GB is ok.
Testing Zorin on new hardware components.

There's one caveat with the Linux drivers for Nvidia cards, at least in my case.

Under System Settings > Software & Updates > Additional Drivers, I'd had Using X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source), but I couldn't switch between the Intel and Nvidia video cards on this laptop, power and thermal management didn't work, and I couldn't monitor the Nvidia card.

As soon as I switched to Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary), I could switch between the two video cards, and now the Nvidia X Server Settings program correctly shows all the details of that Nvidia card, power management and thermal management works, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.