How do you deep freeze your computers?

how do you deep freeze your computers? i tryied with ofris and nothing hapen when i freeze the system. I have to freeze our PCs because its for students, i dont want to let them make changes

1 Like

If you mean stand-by, If anyone can access the system it means you set a simple black screen after the chosen time before going to stand-by mode or you set automatic login where password isn't requested again. You can set a password if missing and set that before logging in again it must be inserted. If you mean that no one should be able to edit anything you can create a new profile where users can do what they want but disabling modification permission.

1 Like

I think it's probably best to just create a dedicated user account for each student, and make sure that account does not have access beyond their own home directory. No sudo or anything, either.

2 Likes

maybe I am not explaining correctly. with ofris (linux) or deep freeze (windows) you can freeze the current state of the pc and when you restart all the changes, documents downloaded, created, etc. will be deleted and when the pc turns on everything would be as originally desired. To put a bit of context, I have a computer lab and the computers present here are accessed by many people, students, teachers, etc. It would be crazy to generate a user for each of them

To put a bit of context, I have a computer lab and the computers present here are accessed by many people, students, teachers, etc. It would be crazy to generate a user for each of them

Ah I see what you mean. Unfortunately I haven't used anything like that to restore the system to a predefined state on every reboot. If I had to do it myself my first thought would be to look into Timeshift to make a backup of the "starting/working state" and just restore it every time.

I think to deep freeze you PC, you would need one of the big walk-in freezers that restaurants have.

A couple of ways you can do that:

1. Set up a full install of Linux, then create a .ISO file of that install, then do a loop boot of that .ISO file (Ventoy makes that super easy to do, but you can do it manually without Ventoy)... they can make all the changes they want, but when it's rebooted from that .ISO file, it's back to the setup that created that .ISO file. That's also handy if they happen to contract malware... it's wiped upon reboot.

2. Cron shutdown fails to execute - #20 by Mr_Magoo

1 Like

I was thinking more on the lines of creating kiosks:

But this would depend on whether or not applications are available as web-based apps.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.