How to add a new user account?

Hello,

I am currently running Zorin OS Core so that I can fully try out Zorin OS before purchasing Ultimate.

However, I am finding it difficult to add a new user account for my daughter. I tried looking in everywhere and also researched on the internet but couldn't find any information.

Has anyone had success with adding new user accounts on Zorin OS Core.

Thanks in advance.

You can add a new user by a couple different ways.
Option 1:

Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t)
Choose a Username for your new user account and replace $USER below with that username you choose.

sudo adduser $USER

Follow the prompts and invent a password.

Option 2.
Open Activities Overview and serch "users"
Click the Add or remove users button. Click "unlock" and when prompted, enter your password.
You can then click the "add User" button.
Follow the prompts in the Pop Up window.
As an aside, Azorin mentioned a probable release date of Zorin 16 at April this year. Not long now.
I wonder if you are considering Zorin Ultimate, if waiting for the release of Zorin 16 may serve you well.

I have 2 users on 15.3 Core. The only thing that does not seem to work, is switching to another user when first is logged in. I am finding it necessary to logoff then the second user can login to their account.
Also can have fun and games with any shared drive. i.e. need to dismount so second user can mount.
Otherwise is good.

This worked for me. It was fairly simply and took a few seconds.

I wanted to try the Lite, so I removed Core and installed Lite. I found Lite to be much faster.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find Activities option in Lite.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am not in much hurry at this time, just playing around and getting acquainted. The release date is less than a month which should give me plenty of time to become familiar with Zorin OS.

I don't know why it's not working for you, but it's very much working for me.

Likewise, I clicked the start button, then the power icon and finally Switch User.

In Lite, I found this option under Menu > Settings > System > Users and Groups.

1 Like