How to add desktop shortcuts to websites with icons in Firefox

*d/l the site's icon, add /favicon.ico to the base URL
*Drag the site's lock icon to the desktop
*Right click it and choose Properties
*Click the icon in the upper left and navigate to your site's icon to change
*Click Permissions, check Allow executing as program, then uncheck it
*Name the shortcut, give it an htm extension

Thanks but does not work for Chromium; this used to work (just in the browser settings, more tools, create shortcut not anymore) I can drag but not drop a websites lock icon to the desktop. Permissions?

I just tested this by the following method using a form of Google-Chrome browser. I am using Zorin OS 16 Lite:
Highlight the entire address in the address bar.
Click on the highlighted address and drag to desktop - release left click.
Dialog then opened to create the shortcut - I confirmed and the shortcut launcher appeared on my desktop.

I am not sure if you are using Core or Lite or Pro. Your profile lists all three.

@Aravisian I figured it out. in the Chromium browser you can "Create shortcut"; when you do this, it will create a shortcut in the start menu under "other"; from there you can "Add to Desktop"

Cheers!

1 Like

A method for doing the above for Chrome, but adding this to skel, and for it to work for new users? [Initial testing showed the .desktop files would appear, but be non-executable. Lots going on this end, so time constrained, but someone might know the solution to jump-start this.]

You would have to make the shortcut executable (right click, properties and change the permission to executable). This will allow the shortcut to work.

You could also ensure the permission is on the desktop directory as this will cause inheretence to propogate the permission to all the files in the desktop. Obviously, pdf, jpeg and other such files won't be executable unless they have a script embedded in them. This may be a good reason only to change the permissions of the file in question though. Just in case.

For .desktop files you don't need executable permissions. If you want to make them available to all users place them under /usr/share/applications and to make them available only to a specific user under /home/<username>/.local/share/applications.

The issue with the above, given I'm after a desktop icon which appears for all users on their desktop on login is the following issue:

If the files are renamed .old, then renamed back to the original naming, they come right; no content changes. I'm interested in the "blessing" they require to work immediately.

Ah, I see... then in that case I think you do need to have executable permissions.

Something that comes to mind is running an automated script that ensures these shortcuts exist once the user logs in. For example, a script located at /etc/xdg/autostart that checks whether the appropriate shortcuts exists on the user's desktop.

But I'm not sure how this would work exactly; until the very first user successful login, the expected directories, including the ~/Desktop, are not yet created. So definitely test this before hand.