How to add steam games to desktop

How do I add downloaded steam games to the Desktop?

I was able to add games to the desktop in Kali Linux no problem but Zorin just does not create the shortcut when you say create shortcut.

Right click on the game -> Manage -> Add desktop shortcut.

1 Like

When I download a game from Steam it always asks if I want to add an icon to my desktop I then move it to folder on my desk to keep my desktop from becoming all cluttered ..... not sure but I'm running Cinnamon DE not sure if that could make a difference .....

How and where would I get that?

Yeah I have done that about 7 or 8 times and nothing.

It won't even let me add it to my Desktop.

Here is my desktop ....see the icons in the top left along with the Steam icon for opening Steam to play my listed games ..... also note the "Metro Last Light" icon with the big M that will open the game directly .... all my other games are in the My Folders and Mike folders .....

How did I do it .... no idea as I just click on the "Put icon on desktop" choice when it shows up after downloading the game .....

The Metro Last Light I just downloaded 3-4 days ago as it was a free game .....

How did you install Steam? If it's installed as a flatpak it may not have proper write permissions. When I search for Steam on the Software Store the default option selected is Flathub. You can also verify this by running flatpak list on a terminal and check if Steam appears on that list.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix your issue even if this is the case (without re-installing completely) but someone more knowledgeable might. Although honestly if you installed it through the package manager then I'm also a bit lost as to why it wouldn't work...

I guess you could try to create this file manually. Create a new text file on the desktop named after the game and use a .desktop extension, and write the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Comment=Play this game on Steam
Exec=steam steam://rungameid/289070
Icon=steam_icon_289070
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

You should change the game ID which you can find out through sites like: https://steamdb.info/search/.
Lastly, you need to give this file executable permissions. Right click -> Properties -> Permissions -> Allow executing file as program.

Okay it works thanks, I will check now to see if it works for games.

Yes sorry I needed to wait for it.

Still not working for Steam games, how do I get steam games to show up under the games folder like where you have your Accessories, Games, Graphics, ect?

Yeah the games only show up in Steam it's self, is it because I use the free Zorin or?

Okay so, how do I make it so that the new official Steam will recognize that CS:GO is installed because it wanted me to install it all over again?

Edit: Corrected Punctuation and grammar.

No, I am using Zorin OS Lite (Free) and any Steam game I install shows up in the App Menu under Games.
Check ~/.local/share/applications to see if yuor Steam Installs are listed as .desktop files.

Thanks to all for the help, I will be factory resetting my OS next month and restart because my internet is currently capped due to reaching my FUP, but thanks to everyone.

Zen .... I think you may be right as I just checked my Flatpak list and Steam is not on it ..... I have icons for games on my desktop and in my Main Menu Game list as Aravisian stated .....

1 Like

I think it's worth a short to just check it if only to confirm that's the cause of the issue, as more people will likely experience the same.

1 Like

I use an external drive for my games. Before i downloaded anything, i went into steam, settings (upper left corner) and clicked the downloads button. There, i hit the plus and created a stream directory where I wanted it. While it was highlighted, i clicked the three vertical dots under the directory graphic, and choose make default.

You can do the same, then move the games to the games directory. They live at one of the following:

/usr/games 
/usr/lib/games 
/usr/local/games 
/usr/share/games 
/var/games 
/var/lib/games

This may require steam to run as root.

To avoid root, you can change the permissions on those directories, or create a games directory under .local in home.

1 Like

He was banned because he used linux and they don't know if you cheating.

1 Like

Very interesting video ...... have I ever used "Trainers" in the past to play games you bet'ch but never online as I never until I switched to Zorin .... and never with multiplayer games ..... I will usually play a game through once and then use a "Trainer" to replay the game for fun ..... but now that I use Steam to play games for Linux I don't bother ..... :sunglasses: :grinning: