How to change color of XFCE Panel Icons & Text

I am not going to change my tone, what is wrong with some users here lately :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

I am not going to say and slime "maybe the developer should consider to change the round edges, because they are not looking perfect to me"

They are ugly, period.

2 Likes

I like rounded corners...but I have to agree with @Michel here..they do look a little ugly...But the "developer" of the theme (i.e. fluent theme) is vinceliuice who is my favourite theme creator. So far, he has done a very good job of creating themes...My kubuntu desktop uses layan theme, tela icon theme, orchis theme, and tela grub...all are from the same "developer".

2 Likes

Just discovered...This is not the fault of the theme creator...
I just ran a Zorin Lite live USB and this is what I found.
Screenshot_2022-01-04_16-04-40
NO THEMES INSTALLED.
I guess the Zorin devs need to fix it.

2 Likes

Rounded corners are harder to theme than square ones. The Zoom-in shows why.

Don't distort.
What I said Stands.

You have been unusually rude and abrasive as of late- Posting the Goofy Pear pictures to mock a poster. Posting ill-advice that was unwarranted and after some progress in the thread, shown to be false. Not to mention your aggressive chasing after Bourne.
Or here, where you had no idea whether this poster had previously had assistence with the dual boot install. Assumptions and accusations.

Actually... Yes, your tone needs changing and if you choose not to, a choice can be made for you.
Your recent turn toward belittling and mocking others has gotten more attention than what help you have been offering.

This forum is a place where new and experienced Linux users seek assistance, not mocking and dismissive posts.
If you believe those are shielded as Opinion, you will find yourself sadly mistaken.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Goodbye and Farewell

I realize that mine have it also but since I don't mind little things as this (cause what's important to me is that it will not affect my workflow) then I unconsciously ignore.

Depends on where this came from, like if it was from DE thing all I can say is that fixing that part to be so smooth is something I don't know if it will be easy. UI/UX thing, in order for the design to be implemented, it needs to be coded. Coordinates etc in coding to create a perfect or smooth round corners isn't easy (well css have it already but since it wasn't part of the theme, I don't think simple CSS styling can solve it)

Im currently using Zorin 15.3 lite, it other words, its not just in 16 but also in 15.3. There common denominator is XFCE. Anyone knows what language used in creating XFCE?

3 Likes

It is actually pretty easy.
However, since in this thread, yet another poster has expressed a desire for a larger Grab Area to resize windows on Zorin Lite; I have decided to expand the Zenith themes to include an XFWM4 theme for Zorin Lite (Zenith is a Zorin-like Theme made to accommodate Cinnamon Users wishing to use ZorinThemes).
I will make these themes with smooth Rounded Corners, so any of you that wish, may have an option for that pre-made for you in Zenith.

Generally, the same as Gnome. XFCE, however, like most other D.E.'s has a Window Manager which gnome lacks. Gnome relies solely on the .css file to render the borders, instead of a Window Manager.
XWM4 is written in C and GTK.

1 Like

I see. I just think that those round corners by default might be because of what programming language used in the creation of it. Not all have the capacity to create a smooth corners. In Javascript, in order to create smooth corners, a lot of coordinates will be coded, unlike in CSS. This kind of detailing is something. Well, that's only the point why I do ask. Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

It's not. When one of the Zorins created that image, they merely cut it neatly without any transparency in the raster image. I do not know which editor they used - I will use GIMP...
The fix is to create a rectanglular image that matches to current image of the corner, then cut the rounded corner, using transparency in raster - which will leave semi-opaque edges that appear more smooth once applied in the theme.
I have done both methods myself in making themes - trying to figure out which is better.
So some of my themes have clean and sharp cuts and some don't.

1 Like

I don't remember windows design coming from an image. Its always created by a programming language (unless modern technology made desktop or UI/UX interface like website than can be design with images fully) but even you can design it with images, that box is created with programming language. That's a sure of it. If you replace it with an image, that will be chaotic in coding.

The dialog box there, if you look closely have the same round corner of the one we are discussing: note that the sample is XFCE.

1 Like

XFCE 4.16 has changed over to using CSD in their native applications, instead of the Window Manager, to great disgust, not fanfare.
So, in XFCE 4.16 (Not in any version prior) which is also what is used on Zorin 16 Lite, Some Apps on XFCE will be CSD with the borders governed by the .css and most apps (or all the rest) will be governed by the Window Manager which uses the XFWM4 images, not the .css.

As I make themes... it necessary that I know how to.

1 Like

I have only returned provisionally, for the reasons of friendship. Having said that, I have recently become aware of the situation with a member here. I too have had problems with said member, and it involved falling out of friendship over it.

I have done some reading, and I can see where the problem is. The issue is perspective and understanding, and in this case, a lack of both.

While it is my personal opinion, that I too prefer perfectly rounded edges on Windows, I however am not arrogant, nor presumptuous, to believe that everybody else should, just because I do.

Some people prefer the retro pixilated look of text fonts. And the OP, probably prefers the retro pixilated rounded look of Window borders, that is their choice, and not up to us to decide weather that is right or wrong.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all see beauty differently from each other. Its not our job to put a persons preference down, because its in our personal opinion that its bad. Everybody has their own preference, and sees beauty in it.

If a man fell in love with a woman, and he said that she was the most beautiful woman he has ever seen, would you tell that man that she's ugly? No! Why? Cause its disrespectful and rude, and absolutely not necessary.

I might be wrong here, but I think tech support has overwhelmed said member as it did me, when I once flew the tech support flag. Its a tough job, its not easy, and eventually, it wears you down, and you begin saying some things you shouldn't.

I had to make the conscious decision to leave tech support to maintain my sanity. I hope that said member can find peace wherever they go, and find happiness and enlightenment as well.

And one last thing I will mention. We are going through a seriously rough time right now. I think our globes current situation is also getting to a lot of us. Sometimes its easy to lose site of the important things.

6 Likes

Please... Try being a Moderator. I have already made a very lengthy post in the moderator forum asking every one of them to either tear me a new one or lend some sanity.
Because that door stage left glowing in heavenly aura promising basking in glorious freedom is looking deliciously good.

This is a very apt example. Well said.

Part of the issue is that many users have voiced feedback that they prefer the sharp edges as seen in the screenshots above, calling it "clean."
Others disagree. They say it doesn't look "smooth." And here we see why these words are troublesome, vague and not very helpful.
In theming, a person can make a popular theme that many people like; but someone is going to hate it. You just cannot please everyone, yet everyone seems to think that they are supposed to be pleased.

2 Likes

LOL ..... yup I remember those days years ago when as I have served as both Mod and Admin (but never Tech Support) on various sites .... dealing with human nature and personalities is never easy

6 years ago I vowed never to except either position ever again .....

1 Like

I don't wanna try. I know myself how people will fear me if I do.

2 Likes

A Lot has happened in this Thread...
Still, getting back to Topic, @Aravisian Thanks again...I am now able to edit the Panel as I want, using your guidance as well as taking some help from ZorinOS-Lite Theme's Gtk3.0.css File...

Only I am unable to change the color of Status Tray Plugin icons such as that of Bluetooth...
I can change them successfully by changing their Color directly through the source SVG File...But is there a way that I can write the code in Gtk3.0.css file to change the Color of Status Tray Plugin Icons?

If there is any way then kindly let me know, and even if not then I will just edit the source SVG Files for those icons...

1 Like

That should fall under the Status Notifier button:

#sn-button, #sn-button:selected {
   color: white
}
2 Likes

As far as I remember, I tried this as well and it didn't worked...
Might be I would have written something wrong. Will try again and Let you know...:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The ones I usually pay attention to:
#xfce4-notification-plugin, #xfce4-power-manager-plugin, #pulseaudio-button, #indicator-button, #sn-button, #showdesktop-button, #xfce4-clipman-plugin

1 Like

Your code again worked for Wi-Fi Icon but to no avail for Bluetooth icon...
But now, just leave it...
Whenever I'll need, I'll directly edit the SVG File of Bluetooth Icon....

1 Like