How to change the folder icons color?

Hi! Is it possible to change the colors of the folders only, without affecting the rest of the theme?

I’m using Zorin with the Orange accent color, and love it; however the orange folders just hurt my eyes! I’d love to have grey folders together with the orange accent color.

As an alternative, I’ve tried a few icon themes from gnome-look.org, but I prefer the stock icons from Zorin, so I’m not willing to change all the icons just to get new folder icons.

Oh, and I know that I can change a single folder’s color by right-clicking > Folder’s Color, but I want the setting to be applied to all folders.

Is this possible? Thank you.

The folder colors are not determined by a setting, but by the individual images in the icon theme and their colors.
The colors can be changed but not in a fast and easy way.
If it was me, I would elevate my file manager, then make copies of the ZorinOrange(or -Dark) icon theme in ~/.icons. Then make another copy ZorinGrey(-Dark) (I think these are the two you referenced). Right click, select properties, then change their ownership recursively (Apply to all files and folders) on both to your user account from the Root account.
Once this is done, open your file manager and replace the “Places” folders in each size: 16x16, 16x16@2x, 22x22, 24x24, 24x24@2x and so on until all “Places” directories for each size are replaced. Then reload the icon theme in your Tweak Tool or appearances settings.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I actually got it to work by using Gnome Tweaks and selecting the “Zorin” theme; this one wasn’t available from the Zorin Appearance app!

Looks perfect now.

2 Likes

I’m in 80’s mode so love the Candy Icons theme:

hi,

the screenshot looks cool...can you pls share stepwise details as to how to use color folders....would appreciate..

will this work on nemo too

thanks

Hi, Just having to reinstall my VM as didn't give it enough space for updates! Looking at the image I uploaded, I think, looking at th e menu icon that was on MX-Linux and I may have been playing around with KDE at the time. Will get back to you in due course.

First go to: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1305251/

Go to the Files tab below the image and click on Download. (Don't use the install option as that requires another bit of software which does not always work). There is a timer, then click on Download (the tar.xz file):

Next extract the icon theme with Archive Manager, this will create a new folder called 'candy-icons':

Now, using the Terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) you do need to be an administrator (a member of the sudoers group) in order to do this next bit:

This changes ownership of the icons folder from root to you. Remember to change back to root after you have copied the candy-icons folder into icons with:

sudo chown root icons

Next install Synaptic Package Manager from Software, then open it (you will need to provide your user password or that of the administrator account if you made yourself a standard user), open it and search for 'gnome-tweaks' (without the single quotation marks) and mark it for installation, then apply:

It appears as 'Tweaks' under Menu | Utilities:

Open Tweaks and select 'Appearance' from the vertical 'menu' to the left. Then select Icons and use the drop-down arrow to veiw all icon themes, and Candy-Icons appears near the top - you may have to scroll up to see it.
Select it and it will change your icon theme.

Looks best in dark mode in Zorin 17:

Please note I have not tried this on Nemo - standby!
Well if I install Nemo I end up with two 'Files' in the Menu. Have uninstalled. When you open Nemo (Second Files) it shows home and swarfendor437 home folder side by side. Opening it shows Candy-Icons in use. I understand that Nemo is the File Manager for Cinnamon - I don't like Cinammon as you cannot extricate Pulse Audio from it and cannot use ALSA instead.

hi,
that was very kind and very detailed...thank you friend..
also the candy icon looks cool in dark mode...

however your last statement on nemo raised my eyebrows...the only reason for liking nemo is because of its dual-pane mode which helps alot....but, iam rethinking now.....

does nautilus have dual-pane mode settings ? i didn't find it though....

I think there is something like midnight commander?

Double Commander, a GUI app:

https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/gallery/

hi,

i have another question or option...if it's available..

candy icons will change / convert the entire zorin gnome icon theme, and i would like that....but since i can't let go of nemo - so, is there any way/option/command where i can just tag different color to individual folders as per my requirement by which i can distinct each folder content by it's color...i hope you got my point.....

linux mint (nemo) has this option, if you are aware of....

Have you considered installing Cinnamon on Zorin as I am aware other users have done that and use it without issue. Is the colour definitions a Cinnamon thing or an LM thing? That I don't know. Perhaps @Frog or @Aravisian can advise.

1 Like

I use Cinnamon but I don't have each folder a different color as I use either icon's made by Storm or Aravisian ...... sorry I'm no help ......

I am not aware of a Cinnamon setting for this, though I know Mate has a file Manager Caja that has similar built-in functionality.

But the majority of GnuLinux Desktop environments already have a means for changing any Folder Icon. For example, in Cinnamons Nemo File manager:
Right click on the folder and select Properties > Click on the Icon button > Select a new icon from any location you want.
That new icon will be displayed.

1 Like

Forgot to mention there is another dual-pane file system from KDE, Krusader - I think there is another package from KDE that is needed for it to run.