[HOW TO] Display Bluetooth battery status on taskbar

I found a Gnome Extension that does exactly what @othiagosm wants, it's called Bluetooth battery indicator by [michalwanat].

Gnome Extension Page: Bluetooth battery indicator - GNOME Shell Extensions
GitHub Page: GitHub - MichalW/gnome-bluetooth-battery-indicator: Gnome-Shell extension displaying battery percentage for bluetooth devices

Two ways you can install extension:

Steps For The First Way:

1. Install the requirments:
    sudo apt install bluez libbluetooth-dev python3-dev python3-bluez gnome-tweaks

2. Clone the repo:
    git clone git@github.com:MichalW/gnome-bluetooth-battery-indicator.git

3. Init submodules:
    git submodule update --init

4. Copy to extensions:
    cp -R gnome-bluetooth-battery-indicator ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/bluetooth-battery@michalw.github.com

5. The extension should work now!!!

OR

Steps For The Second way:

1. Install Gnome Tweaks and requirments:
    sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
    sudo apt install bluez libbluetooth-dev python3-dev python3-bluez
    You can use the Software Centre to install these as well, just search for them and install them one by one.

2. Open your browser of choice(eg. Firefox, Chromium, Vivaldi, .etc) and visit https://extensions.gnome.org/ it should prompt you to install an extension, install the extension.

3. Visit Bluetooth battery indicator - GNOME Shell Extensions then install the extension by clicking the on-off toggle

4. A pop out should come out and ask you do you want to install the extension, Click Install.

5. The extension should work now!!! :smiley:

Result: A Icon should come out with percentage right of it.Screenshot from 2021-09-02 18-36-48

Settings: This extension have settings, you can change the refresh time, Devices, .etc

I hope this help, I realised that I don't really like the light theme because it burns my eyes. :joy:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.