How to get back to Windows? (Ends with Dual-Boot decision with Kubuntu)

Still, the question that bothers my mind is... What have u installed at the moment?

Zorin!

That's what I thought.

It can save you time, if you now install Window aside and with boot repair recall the bootrecord of Zorin - as your main boot.

This will save you the back up procedure, unless your thinking of rearranging your partitions of course.

2 Likes

This is what I am going to do.

1 Like

Good job.
Linux/ZorinOS even let's boot iso files directly from my SSD. And I love it been using it since Zorin 15.3.

2 Likes

You can keep your zorin installation. Make sure you partition to allow ms at least 20gb (the bare minimum) on the drive in a partition. Choose that partition during the install (don't get click happy). Then reinstall grub into the windows boot manager partition (efi). I'd still backup first, but it should be a moot point.

3 Likes

How is Kubuntu? I am thinking of using another distro...I have installed several distros in Gnome Boxes (including Kubuntu) just to try them out but that was not a real experience, I just used them for a few minutes and even enjoyed a few.
Coming to the point now: My last experience with KDE did not go well. Still, I saw some videos about how much customisable KDE is and how much faster it is than Gnome so I would like to run a Ubuntu based KDE distro alongside Windows. Any suggestions on which distro should I try?
PS: I know I can install KDE in Zorin but I would like to install a distribution that comes with KDE Plasma by default.

MXLinux.
https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

MX-21_x64 KDE
with the debian stable kernel and ahs repos enabled.

2 Likes

Wow! I did not know MX Linux had a KDE edition. :astonished:

What is ahs?

Advanced Hardware Support.
It will work nicely on the latest hardware (along with the older hardware) due to the inclusion of the latest drivers.

It is a recent development.
Since my husband is a MX user, we keep up all the latest news.

Got it!
Also..

Which version?

According to the distrowatch.com
DistroWatch.com: MX Linux
Linux kernel 5.10.70

It is astonishing to see MXLinux keeps their number one popularity there all times.

The latest release note:
https://mxlinux.org/blog/mx-21-wildflower-released/

1 Like

Thank you @FrenchPress. But I would like to get more suggestions (from others as well). I prefer Ubuntu over Debian.

It is pity Mint no longer offers a KDE version.
To tell you the truce, my KDE experience is rather limited, I am sure other members can tell you more suggestions.

1 Like

I've been testing other distros and because @FrenchPress mentions from time to time MX I drove the car and kicked the tires on it. Nice distro...enjoyed the Clementine software. The image is beautiful and can see why KDE is popular. But it's not ZORIN!!!

2 Likes

But you can spot @Aravisian there in the forum - provided you know what to look for.

2 Likes

MxLinux i installed on external SSD."Popcorn" still exist on pendrive. Old pc emergency Zorin Core. Many options. I need reading books about Linux. Some my ortography fail coming from automatic translation.

2 Likes

I'm using Ventoy and boot different systems to trying DE's(kde gnome xfce cinnamon flux) and Distros as well as to see which I like best. I'm still learning ... but I really don't think I'll leave Zorin OS EVER. It is simple the BEST

1 Like

Yes for new users Zorin is great. I working on raspberry i reading some possibly start from not sdcard but connected usb SSD harddisk. I want streaming home lan music a Spotify.

2 Likes