How to install both Core and Lite version easily?

Hey
Currently I have Zorin OS 15.3 Lite installed in my pc. Now I want to install Windows 10 + Zorin OS 16.1 lite + Zorin OS 16.1 Core in my PC :rofl:
I know it's easy for you guys but I don't know how to do that. And also I haven't stored much (maximum 5gb). So how to take backup for my both Zorin OS?
Valiant Boy

Backups are another topic - but installing another OS alongside is usually as simple as booting from the installer medium (same way you installed Zorin 15.3 Lite) and following the prompts.
It will set up the boot and update grub alongside the existing installed OS's.

Ahhh...triple boot. Brings up bad memories.

You don't have to install both of them. Simply do

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

or

zorin-os-desktop #for core desktop

select either gdm or lightdm, whichever you like, and you will be able to boot from either of them from the login screen. I did that previously without any issues.

4 Likes

I don't want the user interface of Zorin core or pro. I want to test XFCE and GNOME. I want to know what's the difference :sweat_smile:. That's why I am installing both of them.

Ok so @Aravisian and @Elegant_Emperor
I have a question.
Would XFCE and GNOME share same storage partition or I have to create different for both. And since I have 32bit version of Zorin, I am going to install 64bit version of Zorin so would it over right the existing file system or delete the existing file and create new?

The difference between Zorin OS Core and Lite is nothing other than the desktop and the display manager.
Zorin OS core uses the GNOME 3.38 desktop and GDM
Zorin OS lite uses the XFCE 4.16 desktop and lightdm
And each of them have their own set of default apps. That's it.
If you install zorin-os-desktop using the command I provided then you are basically using Zorin OS core AND lite without installing each of them in a separate partition. You can decide which desktop you want to use when you are in the login screen (that is the display manager). If you choose lightdm then you will have a complete Zorin OS Lite experience but if you choose gdm then you will have a complete Zorin OS Core experience. But remember GNOME does not support screen lock after suspend if you choose anything other than GDM.

1 Like

If you insist on installing each of them separately then, yes you have to install them in separate partitions. You will need to create some free space for the new installation. If you use a separate home partition then I recommend, you use the same home partition for both the installations. Just don't select 'format partition' during the installation. If you have any trouble understanding, tell me.

1 Like

Thank you :grin:. Let me install and i would let you know if it's successful or not :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Hey there
First I install Zorin OS 16.1 Core.
Then as you said I had run the command to switch to XFCE. But how can I switch back to GNOME desktop?:sweat_smile:
Valiant Boy

You can switch between gnome and xfce from the login screen.

Emmm
There is nothing in login screen
Just ask password and I log in

GDM requires you to find and click the Gear Icon to switch Desktops.
Try clicking on the Username selector (Sign is as a different user or similar) to see if the gear icon appears.

1 Like

Looking really in depth i found the icon :joy:
It's in top right side of the desktop :grin:
Thank you so much for your great support!

1 Like

Oh, that is LightDM. Yes, I find that to be easier than that gear icon.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.