[HOW TO] Install NordVPN on Zorin

I hope this works for you it did for me ....

How to set up a VPN on Zorin?

Go to NordVPN’s website ...... https://nordvpn.com/download/linux/ ..... go almost to the bottom of the page and you can choose either 1 0r 2 as the downloads appear to be the same ..... I used # 2

Or just copy and paste the link below to start the download for the # 2 .deb file .....

https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb?_ga=2.179660580.1226708524.1613982547-1839197232.1599206390&_gac=1.16833227.1613134932.CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253W4YxEC5W8Xy3WfhpoFuKHIrFhBJg2WcHpvNhnMZKwk3_3BCwQY71xhoCEN0QAvD_BwE

If the above doesn’t work for you go to the website and download the file

1. Download the installer (nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb).

2. Open Terminal and run the following command:

sudo dpkg -i ~/(path to file)/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb

1. Replace /pathToFile/ with the location of the downloaded NordVPN installer (for example, if it’s in the Downloads folder, the command goes:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb

1. Enter your root password and wait for the installation to finish.

2. Update the package list:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

1. Install the NordVPN app:

sudo apt install nordvpn (or sudo apt-get install nordvpn)

1. Log in to your NordVPN account:

nordvpn login

1. Connect to a NordVPN server:

nordvpn connect

Just in case you make a mistake and need to uninstall .....

Uninstall NordVPN From Linux

If you can’t uninstall NordVPN from Linux then just follow these two simple steps.

Open the terminal window.

1. Enter the command by typing .....

sudo apt-get —purge remove nordvpn*

You can connect to a different country ... after sudo in the terminal type

nordvpn connect (japan ... taiwan ... usa etc ...)

To close Nord just type

nordvpn disconnect

If you restart or shut down you machine NordVPN automatically will close and you will have to reconnect ... by way of the terminal

3 Likes

Not sure what I did wrong but I can't remove the high lighted box (not sure what you call it) on items 4 & 5 .... I've never been able to do that when I wanted .... :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I suppose it is too late or impractical to ask you to post a screenshot of that, now you have NordVPN working?

1 Like

1 Like

I've tried using nordvpn last month. and successfully connected. but I was not comfortable and finally stopped using it.

1 Like

Can I ask why you were not comfortable ????? ....

I've been using NordVPN for going on 4 years and while I admit three of those were on Win 10 which I do have to say is 100% easier than here on Zorin .... here everything must be done by way of the terminal and you have to know ALL the commands to make any changes what so ever to the program ....

Which is what I'm trying to learn now .... especially since I can't use my printer and NordVPN at the same time .... I used to be able to several weeks ago but something changed and I haven't been able to find out why .... for 3 years on Win 10 I never had an issue ....

Is there a particular reason you're installing the Nord VPN app and not just putting the info into the network settings? I've seen several posting with various VPN's people trying to install the app over using the network settings that are already there.

Just trying to understand why people are doing this...

I use PureVPN, I downloaded the openvpn file, put my user/pwd in and away I went.. No fuss, No muss. I put a few different servers in and I can connect to any which one I want right from the taskbar.

2 Likes

Unlike other VPN programs Nord has no apt network settings .... I agree on Windows Nprd is a snap and changes can be made via the program apt on the screen .... however unless I'm mistaken Nord on Linux doesn't offer that luxury but instead makes you do everything through the terminal which is a big PITA ..... I would give anything if it could be simplified by it is in all other OS's except Linux .....

I use it on mobile and windows, but use protonvpn for Linux. Because I feel less suitable on Linux.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply .... and I understand perfectly ..... hopefully someday Nord will develop an apt that will run on a desktop in Linux .... maybe it because for so many different flavors that it isn't practical for them ....