[How to] Install Zorin in OEM mode

You can do an oem install on Zorin OS quite easily.

2 different ways.

1: This way you have to do every time you boot off of the liveCD / USB.

When you get to the boot menu, press the "Tab" key to edit the menu entry.
You simply need to add "oem-config/enable=true" ( without quotes ) after the word "splash". So the whole line would read:

linux	/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper maybe-ubiquity quiet splash oem-config/enable=true ---

Then press Ctrl-x or F10 to boot into OEM Mode.

2: This way is actually the same as the first, it just makes the menu entry permanent.
Use something like cubic ( Cubic in Launchpad ), Select your project folder ( create one especially for this ), select your zorin install ISO. When Cubic gets to the "Customize the Linux file system using the virtual environment terminal" screen, then switch to your file browser ( nautilus for example ), then go into your project folder. There will be a folder called "custom-disk", enter that folder and you will see the files from your ISO, except now you can edit them.
So go in to boot>grub, and edit grub.cfg.

You can copy and paste the first menu item and then change the name, and then add the same command as before, so you will have added a menu entry like:

menuentry "Try or Install Zorin OS - OEM Install" --class zorin {
	set gfxpayload=keep
	linux	/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper maybe-ubiquity quiet splash oem-config/enable=true ---
	initrd	/casper/initrd.lz
}

I also edited "loopback.cfg" ( although I don't know if this is necessary ) and added the same entry:

menuentry "Try or Install Zorin OS - OEM Install" --class zorin {
	set gfxpayload=keep
	initrd	/casper/initrd.lz
}

, and I also edited "custom-disk/isolinux/menuentries.cfg" ( but again I don't know if this is necessary ), and added the following entry:

LABEL OEM
  MENU LABEL ^Try or Install Zorin OS - OEM Install
  KERNEL /casper/vmlinuz
  APPEND maybe-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz4 quiet splash oem-config/enable=true ---

MENU SEPARATOR

Once you have saved and closed these files, go back to cubic click "Next", "Next", "Next", and "Generate", then "Finish" and finally "Close". This will create your modified ISO.

Lastly, use "Startup Disk Creator", "Unetbootin" or whatever program you use to make a bootable thumbdrive with the new ISO, and you will now have an installation thumbdrive that has an OEM option.

Of course, during an OEM install, it will make a temporary user, called "oem" I think? Once you have installed and logged in under the temporary user, you can make changes, and install additional programs. Once you have finished, run the "prepare to ship to end user" icon on the desktop, you'll get a notification saying "oem-config" will run at next boot.
You can then shut the PC down and give it to the customer. When they boot it up, it will then ask them for language, location, username, computer name etc.

Hope that helps.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
Thank you for this great tutorial!
If it is OK with you I would like to elevate it to the "Tutorial" section where more people will benefit from your excellent writing.

[edit]
Since I did not hear back from @Agent_M, I took a liberty to create this new thread in tutorial section. If you want to make any changes please let me know.

3 Likes

I know I'm a bit late with this, but yeah, that's fine, wherever it helps most is fine with me :slight_smile:

Also, I just came back to find this, just to remind myself how I did it last time, and tried adding the 3 entries 1 at a time. It appears that maybe only the 3rd one is required ( "custom-disk/isolinux/menuentries.cfg" ), but am sure it doesn't hurt having the others as well.