How to make a network share permanent/connect at login?

Hi,

Long time systems engineer in Windows and Mac OS (over 20 years) in University and small business environments. Dabbled with Linux over the years finally made the decision to take a Linux desktop seriously and chose Zorin over Linux Mint and Pop OS for a variety of reasons.

Anyway...seeing as I paid for the OS I thought I'd give the support forum a go.

I have 5 NAS devices. 2 are Thecus and 3 are QNAP. I can access all of them via Windows via and run AFP on a couple of the QNAP's for the Mac OS machines.

I run SMB 2, 2.1 and 3 as well as AFP on the NAS's.

I've purchased Zorin Pro 16 and in trying to connect to all the NAS's only achieve a successful connection using AFP.

When trying to connect to an SMB share through the "other locations" in the default file manager (I believe it is called nautilus) I get an error and can't connect however with AFP connections the share is accessed immediately which is good. As it should.

I've overcome this shortfall by manually accessing the shares via the full server path eg smb://192.168.x.x/shared which is not desirable but acceptable however I am now trying to figure out how to make the network share permanent/connect at login.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Kind regards

Lee

I'm not currently running and network shares, but this may help. Add an entry to /etc/fstab that includes the first part of the solution recommendation. That should delay the link until network is up.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I was hoping for a simple check box.

Do you wish to make this connection permanent (Tick ON or OFF).

Or a disable/enable autoconnect after login option somewhere.

Thanks for that I'll see how goes.

Also that's prompted me to consider some of the niceties in Windows/Mac OS I will most likely be looking for one of which is to have a program run at startup/login. Happy to use command prompts/scripting/terminals when necessary but it's always so much easier to use the built in options if they are available.

This tutorial may also help:

and this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.