How to mount an external SSD? (for Backup)

Hello,

Well, I’m in the process of doing my first Backup.
I’ve just bought an external SDD SSD but it does not appear in my other locations.

I’d like it to appear when I use Deja Dup.

How can I make it to appear there?

Is that SSD? You didn’t by an HDD? Not sure if this is the issue as we don’t have enough information:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/usb-ssd-disk-not-detected-on-ubuntu-18-04-a-475664478/

Yes, SSD because I wanted something for my laptop and my desktop, and to be small, quiet and convenient to travel with.

Your link provided does indeed not show any answer.

I run lsblk and it seems that my external hard-drive is there:

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 232,9G  0 disk 
└─sda1   8:1    0 232,9G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0 223,6G  0 disk 
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom

Now it does appear.

I did:
Zorin > Disks > My External Hard Drive was there but not mounted

Then,
I clicked on the icon "Additional partition options" > Format Partition > I checked "Internal disk for use with Linux systems only".

I waited for around 90 minutes.

After,
Zorin > Files > My external Hard Drive was there, and when I clicked on it, it mounted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same issue here. But I was using a different way to solve this, same result :slight_smile: Here are the steps of how I mount an external SSD on Zorin:

1. Connect the external SSD to your computer's USB port.
  2. Open the "Disks" application. You can find this by searching for "Disks" in the Applications menu or by pressing the Super key (Windows key) and typing "Disks".
  3. In the Disks application, you should see a list of all the drives connected to your computer. Locate the external SSD in the list and click on it.
  4. Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the window and select "Mount Options".
  5. Turn off the "Automatic Mount Options" switch and then click on the "Mount at startup" switch to turn it on if you want the drive to be automatically mounted every time you start your computer.
  6. Click on the "Mount Point" dropdown menu and select a folder where you want to mount the drive. You can create a new folder by clicking on "Other" and then "Create New Folder".
  7. Click on the "OK" button to save the changes and mount the external SSD.

After following these steps (refer full manual here), the external SSD should be mounted and accessible in the selected folder. If you encounter any issues, such as the drive not appearing or not being accessible, there may be other factors at play, such as driver compatibility or file system format.

2 Likes