How to reinstall Zorin Core?

Hello, I had been having some issues with my PC lately, especially with the connection. I've tried basic troubleshooting and customer support said there were no service disruptions in my area so far.

So, I would like to reset my OS settings. I think some failed app installations might have affected my PC. I am not very good with command line installations (e.g. sudo apt)

I tried restarting my PC and switching to Recovery Mode (I was thinking that's how you reset Zorin). But I still have the issues.

I tried also 'clean installing'. I have already flashed the latest Zorin Core 16 on my USB, although my current OS is also Zorin Core. But it seems like nothing happened when I tried to install again from my USB. I just really don't know how to reset it.

Firstly, backup your /home directory including hidden files (these begin with a dot, e.g., .mozilla) which contain settings for all your currently installed applications. To do a fresh install after you have backed up your critical data is to choose the something else option. This should launch gparted (gnome partition editor). Select each partition and delete them by selecting the minus sign followed by selecting Apply to delete the partitions. You should end up with no file system present, just one long grey bar with nothing in it.
Before the next step we need to know if the hard drive is a conventional HDD or SSD.

2 Likes

As you are re-installing over existing ZorinOS Core, then when using gparted (as mentioned by swarfendor), keep your /home directory personal files by NOT selecting to Format the /home partition when you get to it.

2 Likes

I don't mind if a reset wipes away all my existing files since I backed them up already to a cloud drive my important digital stuff.

How do I know if my hard drive is HDD or SSD?

Also, can you tell me a step-by-step guide how to reset my OS. I'm really not a techie and this is all rather difficult for me. Thanks.

The Process is same as Installing But, You need to Back your files up for this.
Follow this Guide for Installation and Re-installation,

A simple way to tell if your OS is installed on SSD or not is to run a command from a terminal window called lsblk -o name,rota . Look at the ROTA column of the output and there you will see numbers. A 0 means no rotation speed or SSD drive. A 1 would indicate a drive with platters that rotate, which means it's an HDD.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.