How to remove operating system

I want to delete Zorin, but it is not a dualboot. All I want to do is delete Zorin and go to the system setup.

If you don't know what I mean, I want to delete my operating system, which is Zorin OS. Is there a command I can run in terminal to delete it?

There is no need to delete Zorin OS, since you can just format the partition that Zorin OS is installed on.
Or overwrite it by installing a different OS or reinstalling Zorin OS.

Running a command in terminal to remove the OS can be done and if you search the internet, you can find some rather dangerous terminal commands that can do what you ask... generally... But Don't.
An Example: On newer designed Drives, the infamous rm -rf* command can actually possibly damage a Hard Drive.

To format a partition;
Boot from a Live Medium, like the Zorin OS LiveUSB installation medium.
Run gparted,
select the partition you wish to format
Click the delete button (-) to delete the partition
Click the free space that is created by the above action
Click the add (+) button to add a new partition and the format options will open in a pop up.
Doing the above can be done to blank a hard drive prior to selling or giving away a computer. Some like to Shred Files (multiple overpasses) of data, first.

You can do the above, or if you prefer, just run the installer of the OS of your choosing and reformat and install or use the "wipe and install" option.

1 Like

I want to reinstall windows, but wine doesn't work. So I cannot run the installer.

There is no need to delete Zorin OS, since you can just format the partition that Zorin OS is installed on.
Or overwrite it by installing a different OS or reinstalling Zorin OS.

Running a command in terminal to remove the OS can be done and if you search the internet, you can find some rather dangerous terminal commands that can do what you ask... generally... But Don't.
An Example: On newer designed Drives, the infamous rm -rf* command can actually possibly damage a Hard Drive.

To format a partition;
Boot from a Live Medium, like the Zorin OS LiveUSB installation medium.
Run gparted,
select the partition you wish to format
Click the delete button (-) to delete the partition
Click the free space that is created by the above action
Click the add (+) button to add a new partition and the format options will open in a pop up.
Doing the above can be done to blank a hard drive prior to selling or giving away a computer. Some like to Shred Files (multiple overpasses) of data, first.

You can do the above, or if you prefer, just run the installer of the OS of your choosing and reformat and install or use the "wipe and install" option.

Is there any other way to install windows, but easier?

I have already installed the iso file for windows.

You cannot install Windows using Wine. Wine is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on a Linux Distro.
I do not even use Wine, anymore, as I have found better replacements that are native to Linux for any Windows application I used to love.

To install Windows, you can follow the Microsoft Installation instructions on their help page or the available online guides.
It is essentially the same as you would install Linux - boot the Installer Medium, then run the installer.

2 Likes

Okay, if I have any problems, I will reply.

1 Like

The best way is using on pendrive life linux any distribution using gparted and delete that operating system what you want.

GParted can be run on its own bootable USB, whether Windows or GNU/Linux:

https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

1 Like

That is what I did ..... made a bootable TD and put GParted on it .... used it to wipe a HD that had Win 7 on it and then reinstalled .... worked like a charm .... just remember to save all your drivers for your computer or go to their website and copy them to another TD .... I had some problems even with copying drivers from Acer website so I ended up buying a driver update and install program ...., best $35 I ever spent .... worked like a charm .... by the way I wiped the HD completely including ALL partitions ....

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.