How To Repair Zorin OS Without Losing Data

Your a funny person. You installed ubuntu 21.10 + Zorin OS 16 on your machine and yet you still ask on the installation menu what you need to do.

3 Likes

I don't want to take risk at All
No  GIF

1 Like

I know why people here put many question. They are thinking we are searching engine "google" - please first use a taskbar and check if question was before also with older forum Zorin. Just kidding without questions that forum could be died?

1 Like

I thought carmar explain it quite clearly what to do.
The important thing is for /home partition uncheck the tickbox that says "Format".
His /home partition should then remain intact.

I wish people would take time and read instructions. We cannot always spend lots of time here doing interactive step-by-step posts.

2 Likes

@Dixit The real "Solution" is post #3 by carmar. I simply repeated what he said there.

Please get into a habit to backup your /home partition regularly. That way your personal files and data should be protected from disasters.

3 Likes

But...how...how do i uhm...get to post 3...i don't understand.

2 Likes

I could say see the link in post #8, but that just prolongs the pain. :smiley:
I think that is enough jocularity for one thread. Let's just sneak off quietly and deal with some others.

1 Like

Then try reading this, as it is clear from the responses nobody is going to sit here and give you blow by blow directions. Google is your friend, along with taking 5 minutes of reading.

3 Likes

Discord have also channel forum support Zorin.

Really??

Yes. Zorin OS Unofficial Server
Zorin on Discord - #22 by Bourne

1 Like

This Telegram Group Official Telegram: Contact @zorinosgroup?

@Bourne I edited your post to correct the link that was incorrectly pointing to my post #21 concerning hydrogen peroxide, rather than your post #22. Unless you are wishing to refer to alternative ladies hair colouring again here :wink:

2 Likes

@Dixit , many members here are volunteering available time as often as possible. It is understandable that you fear certain risks on your personal machine. Building your own self-confidence and increasing your understanding of the system will help you to minimize risks and take a more aggressive approach toward regaining control over that which you own.

@Michel encouraging the above is better served by encouraging confidence in the user, not in off-remarks or odd pictures of a goofy pear.
Many users unfamiliar with a system may feel like they are grasping in the dark. The solution is to Teach, not to enable simplicity nor to belittle.

So was i back in August and i tried alot of things on my own...but some people these days wants everything done by the staff.

People get lazy, even harvey noticed it last week. They dont google or use the forum search, no they want you to do it for them.

How hard is it to write (for sample) alc255 driver ubuntu 20.04 in google ?

Or >my problem here< ubuntu 20.04

Maybe you did not noticed it, He already installed 2 linux versions and tell us now he wont take any risks. :exploding_head:

I think it makes sense that users would turn to and try to rely on an available Live resource.
@337harvey is not alone in feeling some manner of frustration - We all can feel frustration when members respond in ways that we do not want.
What you point out may still be alleviated by building the users confidence.

Remember. You never know who is another side. It could be a child who don't understand a big world but want trying something. It could be someone who testing you. This is social forum i better would gived people something like that:" I would trying help but my knowledge is finished here" The forum besides is support installation and hardware what i see here. Sometimes this is something go to service they fix that. The problem here they have that knowledge for freedom. So what suppouse i do if we have good websides forum ubuntu,foss and another things. Don't sayed also on many videos on youtube or another social websides where linux people talking about problems and help each other. In theory for me if working everything on my computer it is sense to be here? My answear is I am for people who exist on this forum also help sometimes. Sometimes I don't put any things on topic because someone firts started help or was problem solved.
The younger generation is learning using internet browser with search engine - when put some problems words what it gived them "zorin forum". If someone don't know how working searching websides google,duckyduck or another yahoo, bling.

As Dixit stated himself, he installed two Linux versions on a dual boot... this isn't easy and takes a little research. With that said, if he can find what he needed in order to perform that, and based on his responses... he can read, he is just lazy. Preferring to work from photos to make things easy because it's a matter of making it look like another picture than having to read and comprehend. This is why I have ignored him.

Call me what you will, but I'm honest and blunt (to the point). I neither want to waste their time or mine and I find the truth to be the best option. It may not be what is wanted or what people like to hear, but you can't argue with it.

We have dealt with similar members in the past, and diplomacy was usually only met with more of the same requests. This is aggravating both to the volunteer as well as the member in question. It is better to "nip it in the bud", so to speak, so the member learns (hopefully), and this doesn't have to be revisited. Unfortunately some are stubborn, slow or think it's entertaining... so i reiterate here.... volunteers who help are not required to, have no incentive other than their willing open nature (something Linux has fostered and promoted) and asking them to define something so specifically is disrespectful and ignorant. If you wouldn't do this for someone else, for free, why do you expect it?! The answer has been provided. If you are still unsure of the process you may try YouTube.

4 Likes